I threw a handful of wooden match sticks into a jar of wax and now I can't extinguish it?

EVERYTHING I do makes it blow up. There's a full inch of melted wax under the flame which is right at the rim and keeps crackling, I'm scared it could catch somthing on fire. I want to pick it up and put it in the bath tub, but i'm scared to move it. I have a fire extinguishing can, but as soon as I... show more EVERYTHING I do makes it blow up. There's a full inch of melted wax under the flame which is right at the rim and keeps crackling, I'm scared it could catch somthing on fire. I want to pick it up and put it in the bath tub, but i'm scared to move it. I have a fire extinguishing can, but as soon as I sprayed, the fire blew everywhere and I was absolutely sure I'd burned my house down. But it's still in the jar now. I tried taking my small metal trash can and flipping it over around it to suffocate it, but it started getting hot and I didn't know if it could catch fire, so I took it off. I spat at it once and it flew all over the place. I don't know what to do, I'm scared.
Update: OKay I got the idea of just putting the bottom of the trash can right side up on top of the jar. The fire is out, but Im afraid of moving the can just yet. I'm just going to leave it there for the night while the wax cools.
Update 2: Could anything happen to the glass? could it shatter if it's too hot?