helen asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

Is Bruce Lee not the best martial artist?

Is it a BIG misunderstanding of the west thinking that Bruce Lee (lee xiaolong) is the best martial artist ever. A real Chinese said that Skills like Bruce lee was common in China. Even I found out Bruce himself said that there were many masters in China that are far more skiled than he is. Some of these legendary martial artist which are little known to the west but popular hisorical martial artist are Huo Yuanjia, Wong feihong, Zhang Sanfeng, and many others to.

Just wanted to know that if anyone have heard of the name Huo Yuanjia, Wonf Feihong, or Zang Sanfeng before I mentioned it.

Wong not wonf

• l
    Favorite Answer

I've heard of Huo Yuanjia and Wong fei hong, but not that 3rd name you mentioned.

But, I'll agree that while he was talented, there have been other martial artists who were much better.

huo yuanjia is a legendary martial artist. he studied kung fu i think. he was a great one without a doubt. but bruce lee was better i think. i dont think that lees the greatest fighter ever but i think he was one in a million looking at his skills. how his training partners said he was the strongest lightweight they all had ever seen. read some quotes in the internet. he also was unbelievable fast. but the most important thing is that lee was highly intelligent and when he saw that kung fu isnt the most effective style he chnanged his thinking and training - so his martial arts philosophy Jeet Kune Do was made. JKD always tries to fight as direct, simple and effective as possible - in a fight without any rules. i tell you what bruce lee was dangerous. he was tough, man! there definitely werent many guys being as skilled as him. he should belong to the greatest pound for pound martial artists of all time and beat anyone of those guys you listed with ease.

Bruce was very good but it is hard to say he was the best. He was the most popular in the west for sure but this was based largely on his acting career. We assume if they are good on film then they must be that good in real life. Same goes for Jackie Chan, Jet Li or any other martial arts star. Put Bruce Lee in the UFC and I bet there is somebody who could beat him. How many real matches against masters did Lee fight against? I know of two but there is no real footage of the fights.

I do know that he was involved in several street fights but most of these guys were unskilled bums. Honestly we will never know how good he really was and it is kinda pointless for any of to speculate as he isn't here to prove his skill against the best in the world.

He was a very good martial artist that happened to make it as an American actor. Just like Kareem Abdul Jabbar (who starred in a Bruce Lee movie and was in the NBA but wasn't the best basketball player of all time)

Lee never said he was the best, And said he wanted to be remember as a human being, And as far as people in China being as good, Where is the video? Lee was ahead of his time, and for his time, he was very good, Most MMA fighters can barely do a round house kick, let alone do half of what Lee did.

Source(s): kung fu dude

Bruce Lee took traditional kung-fu and created a basic practical stand-up system for all realistic situations thus becoming the grandfather of mma today. That and maybe the first popular chinese american martial arts action star.

• David

Yeah, I knew every name you mentioned. And no he was far from being the best there ever was. According to his own opinion the were at least a dozen guys on the west coast who were better than he was at different aspects of fighting.

Source(s): 30+ years of martial arts

Nobody in the West thinks Bruce lee was the best martial artist. There's no such thing.

• Ricky

He probably wasnt the best but one of the most famous martial artist..

• Mathew

"Is Bruce Lee not the best martial artist?"

No, he is not. I'll bet if we got in a fight, he would never be able to hit or kick me, and I could hit or kick him all I wanted to.

There is a "best martial artist" in the world today, somewhere, but it isn't Brice Lee.

Because he is dead.