if i get discharged for refusal to enlist can i rejoin another branch?

i have enlisted in the air national guard and ended up wanting to go active but it's taking way too long. i have a month left on my time limit to get a date. i was wondering if i get discharged for refusal to enlist ZBD will i be able to join another military branch again?


ok let me make this clear in no way shape or form am i purposely trying to get released. this is because i am running out of time on my 365 days to get a date thing. (i said discharge earlier but i meant release) i'm just wondering this because my supervisor over at the ANG said if we get released for refusal to enlist we can't join a military branch again. i'm trying to transfer over into active right now and they're honestly just wasting my time. the active recruiter will say she's waiting on the ANG and vice versa.

4 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Favourite answer

    you cannot be discharged from something you are not in.

    I would talk to a recruiter about your situation. They can help you go Active

    Source(s): U.S.Army Disabled Veteran 19K20 M1A1 Abrams MBT 1990-1996
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Do you think that will speed things up for you? It can take months to be officially released from the DEP, not to mention no other branch will let you enlist for at least 6 months (it might be 12 months I'm not sure but it's at least 6 months, this is to prevent "branch hopping"), and most if not all branches are not shipping people to basic training for at least 6 months after enlisting. So you are looking at a MINIMUM of 12 months before you can ship if you drop out of the DEP but more realistically more than that. I enlisted in October and I'm not leaving until May.

    Edit: All you have to do is send a letter to the CO saying you don't want to enlist. They'll drop you from the DEP. The only thing that affects is if you want to join the ANG again... you'll need a waiver. However, you will be free to enlist in any other branch after you have waited the amount of time required however they will most likely be reluctant to work with you since you already DEP-lossed once.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    nicely at the start you shouldnt have acted like a youngster once you entered the corp. Did you get a RE code, I dont think of you would be waiting to get returned in, by way of fact of your "decrease than honorable discharge", shall we only say the militia won't re-enlist somebody who has questionable ethical behaviour whilst interior the corp. It doesnt harm to purpose to re-enlist. yet you will possibly be disillusioned by way of fact the militia is at the instant downsizing and is far less possibly to recruit priors, criminal data, dqable well being situations. they desire those with sparkling slates, no criminal data.

  • 10 years ago

    to be officially in you need to swear in twice. you probably swore in at meps the first time you went... you haven't gone active and you can always change your mind.

    Source(s): active duty navy 4yrs in
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.