Why do photographs turn yellow over time?

I am doing some research! Can anybody tell me why they turn yellow and how do i fix it?

Update:

Then how do I fix it?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are a couple of things that cause yellowing and fading.

First, some papers are made of cellulose from trees. This type of paper can yellow over time when it comes in contact with acids in the air. One of the best ways to stop this, is to store the prints in archival storage products. If you mount the prints, use a buffered matte. A buffered matte has a chemical that actually neutralizes acids.

The best bet is to use an archival paper. These papers are typically made from cotton instead of tree fibers. If it is black and white, you can wash the print in pH neutral water for several hours, and follow with toning the print with a selenium toner to remove the slightly acidic sliver halides. A selenium toned print on cotton rag should last for hundreds of years.

Color prints can yellow for a number of reasons. A traditional C-type print uses dye-coupled silver halides. When you process the prints, the silvers are rinses away leaving the dyes on the paper. All dyes degrade over time, and since yellow dyes last the longest, the print will appear to turn yellow.

This can be prevented by using a pigment inks instead of dyes to create color prints. Inkjet printers work best for this, but you should still print on archival cotton rag paper. Nothing can be done to prevent dye prints from color shifting with time, but you can slow the process by using a UV glass when framing the prints.

• 9 years ago

Photographic or any other paper turns yellow over a period of time because along with cellulose there is a substance called lignin in the paper which reacts with air and light.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There Are Many Things that can make it yellow if the Sunlight is In the Picture Setting Than it will be there or If The Subject Is yellow than it will be there There is Also Software that Can Make it Do That Like Photoshop

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

they have paper that dosent turn yellow in some art stores. personally i really like the antique look of the picture turning yellow haha. i also do photography!

you can follow me on tumblr

www.mhweldon.tumblr.com

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • TW
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

pigments in the image also degrade over time, and in sunlight. Reds are usually the first colour to fade.

• Sierra
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Redox reaction with sunlight and silver bromide... or something. You could Google it, I'm sure they have answers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.