Ethics: Is there a universal definition for compassion?

This is coming from a vegetarian, now my reasoning is If one lives by compassion to any degree, surely the axiom of that philosophy would be not to harm others regardless of species or race. If there is not a universal definition or axiom for compassion then my logic may be flawed, but until i can reason... show more This is coming from a vegetarian, now my reasoning is
If one lives by compassion to any degree, surely the axiom of that philosophy would be not to harm others regardless of species or race.

If there is not a universal definition or axiom for compassion then my logic may be flawed, but until i can reason otherwise i cannot see the justification in artificially raising & killing animals for merely our personal enjoyment (ie taste). Every reasoning i've tried can be applied to much more extremes such as cannibalism.
Update: Compassion: a feeling of distress and pity for the suffering or misfortune of another, often including the desire to alleviate it "The thinking (person) must oppose all cruel customs, no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury... show more Compassion: a feeling of distress and pity for the suffering or misfortune of another, often including the desire to alleviate it

"The thinking (person) must oppose all cruel customs, no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another."
— Albert Schweitzer
Update 2: Ardi i still do not see how this answers my question, Yes whilst the animal may be rendered unconscious & the process sounds like the grateful work of Temple Gradins designs, it still causes harm ie death to that sentient being. Therefore you haven't answered my question.