Difference between a dynamic and condenser microphone?

Heeeey guys,

I really, really love to sing and record, however the microphone that's in my Laptop is horrible and has far too much disturbance.

I was on Youtube earlier and saw that quite a few people who were covering songs, were using a microphone that is usually used in recording studio's.

I would really like to buy a nice microphone, but have no idea where to start. Could you guys start by telling me a bit about them both?

Also, how much to the both of them cost and which is better?

I'm not looking for something too expensive and also which is better for vocal recording?

Also, I'm just looking for something that I connect to my laptop!

Thanks a bunch for the help! :)

The most simple way to describe the difference between a condenser and dynamic microphone is sensitivity. The Condenser microphone is a lot more sensitive, it will pick up a lot more sound and picks up more of range. Dynamic mirophones are not as sensitive, and will pickup mostly what's only in the polar pattern.

Condenser microphone is what you want for recording vocals. At the professional level you are singing in a booth. This way there is as little extra noise as possible. This is ideal for a condenser microphone and vocals because like i said they are sensitive and pickup a lot. However this is also how you get good sounding vocals because it picks up a lot more detail than say a dynamic microphone would.

Yes many people use condensers on YouTube now.

The best way to do it is to get a USB / Firewire Audio Interface and a Condenser Microphone. This way you would be plugging your microphone into a Preamp and be getting good quality.

You could also get a USB condenser microphone. This would be the cheapest way because you'd only have to purchase one item. However USB microphones do not have the best quality and they won't ever allow you to upgrade. A standard XLR condenser micropohone lets you plug into Preamps, Mixers, etc. A USB connection is limited to your computer and there's no way to get any extra juice to the microphone.

An Interace + Microphone is anywhere from $250 and up. Depends on your budget. I'd say $400 would give you a pretty good setup.

A USB Microphone is as low as $80.

Both of these options would work with your laptop.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

• kendry

Dynamic Vs Condenser