How do you (yourself) decide on whether to say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"?

Pls don't have a cow. I am a Christian who celebrates the Savior's birthday and his gift of eternal life. I also enjoy the manmade stuff like cookies, baked ham and egg nog. I have otoh worked in large US cities where more than a few ppl do not celebrate Christmas (not just Jewish ppl but also Hindus,... show more Pls don't have a cow. I am a Christian who celebrates the Savior's birthday and his gift of eternal life. I also enjoy the manmade stuff like cookies, baked ham and egg nog. I have otoh worked in large US cities where more than a few ppl do not celebrate Christmas (not just Jewish ppl but also Hindus, agnostics, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.) and have gotten bad reactions when saying "Merry Christmas" to them.

Your thoughts and what you say at Christmastime?
Update: Actually "X" is the Roman designation for Christ and did not, at the time, imply crossing out anyone.

Figuring out the ethnic origin is tricky. Some Asians, for example, are Christians. Others of the same ethnic group are not, but are Buddhist, Hindu, etc.