I'm looking into buying a gaming pc for a decent enough price budget.?

Obviously I'm a complete noob when it comes to buying a PC for the express purpose of gaming, that's why I'm here.

I guess the anonimous hands of the internet is the best place to ask, as you're the least likely to try to take advantage of me a la a PC salesman would.

I'm open to the idea of buying a custom PC that's upgradeable, I just can't construct one.

I have a budget of 1800 euros and I'm looking into getting a PC that will be able to hold its own with the majority of games out there.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure questions like this get asked all the time, too much even. I'm sorry (well...not really.) I'd just like some personal advice that caters to my budget.

Assembling yourself is much easier than you think. The instructions that come with the case tell you how to mount the motherboard, the motherboard instructions tell you how to install the Processor, graphics cards and any optional expansion cards. Then the instructions which come with the power supply tell you where each connection goes.

Building a pc is like building a jigsaw puzzle, in that its impossible to fit a wrong piece in.

Also you are cutting out the "middleman" so its cheaper. You need 8 components but the rest is optional here is a small guide below:

1.) Motherboard - The basis for your computer. There are boards with different processor sockets but there are 2 main ones currently used today. AM3 for AMD based computers and LGA1156 for Intel based computers. AMD = Best performance for Price, Intel = Outright better performance but comes at a cost. I recommend going down the AMD/AM3 route since this will allow more money to be spend in more critical areas

2.) Processor - You need to buy a processor which matches the socket on the motherboard you've selected. eg AM3 processor for AM3 motherboard. I'd recommend a Quad core here, since many new release games can take advantage of these. I recommend an AMD Phenom II X4 for AM3 or for LGA 1156 go for a Core i5 750.

3.) RAM - For both AM3 and LGA1156 pcs, you need DDR3 ram, because any other type will not physically fit. Get 2x2GB sticks of any DDR3 ram (1333mhz or 1600mhz) and you can't go wrong.

4.) Graphics Card - The main thing which separates a good gaming pc from a not so good one. There are two graphics card companies: ATI (AMD) and Nvidia. ATI (AMD) offers better performance for money but Nvidia offer faster outright cards but at more cost. I personally have an Nvidia GTX 470 and this runs every game out there currently no problem, but an ATI HD 5850 offers almost the same performance for a great deal less.

5.) Power Supply (PSU) - Generally the thing to remember is to get a good quality power supply. A bad one can simply ruin your investment altogether. Generally a 500-600w with 80plus certification from OCZ, Antec or Corsair will be absolutely fine for a computer with one graphics card. For two graphics cards (SLI or Crossfire), you need at least 750w.

6.) Hard Drive (HDD) - This is where your games, windows installation, music, documents on for storage. The average game takes up about 10GB on a pc nowadays, and Windows 7 occupies 20GB. I'd recommend a minimum of a 500GB drive but highly recommend 1TB (roughly 1000GB). As for brands avoid Seagate and Hitachi, and it'll be ok. I highly recommend Western Digital drives but Samsung are also ok. Make sure the drive is a 3.5" drive and SATA (not IDE) and not 2.5" drives. 2.5" drives are for laptops.

7.) DVD burner - This will burn and read discs and generally there isn't a lot of difference between different brands. The best ones in my experience are Asus, LG and Lite-ON. Make sure it has SATA connection though.

8.) Case - This is where you put all of your components into. Get an ATX mid or full sized tower for a gaming machine, as this allows plenty of space for components to cool. I highly recommend Coolermaster and Antec Cases.

OPTIONAL BITS

Operating System - This is Windows XP, Windows 7, linux, Mac OS. I recommend Windows 7 for a gaming pc because it also performs well whilst looks nice. Vista looked nice, but was slow. XP is fast but outdated now. Some new games no longer support Windows XP! Windows 7 comes in two different builds: 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (x64). Get the 64 bit version.

Monitor - This is your screen, but if you have one already or you have an HD TV you want to use, this is not required.

Speakers - Again not critical but some nice speakers can enhance the gaming experience. Logitech and Creative speakers are very good for price. If splashing the cash look into the top audio brands.

Keyboard and Mouse - I think you know what these are and whether you need them or not ;)

This is just one of the tutorials on the net you can have a look at, see what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3O1J8GSamM

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): PC gamer, Custom PC builder

Since you speak of euros, i'm assuming you are overseas (not usa). I would suggest the following:

www.hp.com

www.alienware.com

www.sony.com

Alienware is the ultimate for gaming, very expensive but worth it.

Source(s): PC gamer