ldh

Lemon Balm herbal tea for baby?

My daughter who is 7 months suffers from insomnia.. Any time she gets sleepy whether it be for a nap or bed time she gets really fussy. She gets busy and clumsy and rubs her eyes and cries. She gets so tired that she will fall asleep and drop her head to the floor but as soon as she realizes she was asleep she starts screaming. she won't "cry it out" in her bed.. i've left her for 30 minutes and couldnt take hearing her scream and had to go pick her up. she chokes and runs out of breath from screaming so much.. ive tried tylenol and motrin and it makes it even worse and she fights harder. Gripe water use to work and does not anymore. Its not gas or reflux. I've used mylicon drops and she was on perscription for reflux. when i hold her and rock her she kicks me, pushes away with her hands, rips my hair out, scratches me, and screams... then i get mad and have no choice but to drive her around in the car which sometimes doesnt even work. the dr keeps saying its teething but she got 2 teeth at 4 months and she never acted like this.. plus if it were teething then all the tylenol, motrin, teething tabs, and orajel i give her must not work.... (highly unlikely) i dont know what else to do so i read online to find my own gripe water recipe and found dill seed boiled in water... that did not work. so today i went to the organic food store and bought lemon balm (supposed to help insomnia) herbal tea. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it and if it worked? I'm out of ideas!! the lady at the store suggested that she has a calcium deficiency and insisted i buy a $25 powder to try... I didnt buy it but if anyone has any info or experience with that i may try it also. !! Im looking for personal experiences and suggestions from anyone!

I checked into it to make sure i wasn't going to hurt her and Its safe for babies as long as its caffeine free which it is and i dont give her too much.

well if she gets (too tired) in a matter of only 2 hours after waking up then maybe its the problem.... and if you call cuddling being kicked in the face then i guess you could say we do try to cuddle... i try back tickles and she wont sit still and she wont take a bottle because she falls asleep if she drinks it...

and not to mention the fact that she went from sleeping thru the night at 2 to 4 months (10 hrs) to getting up 5 times a night... its pretty hard on a persons body to have to get up that many times a night and not have any napping time during the day.. and it is also recommended by a dr to not leave your child crying for over 20 minutes unattended

• Ellen

Herbs must be treated as drugs. You need to look up each ingredient in the tea for safety (I wold NOT believe the label). And remember, she cannot have much of the tea, and you will never really know whether or not it works. Have you discussed these remedies with the baby's doctor?

If she is getting breastmilk or infant formula, she is getting plenty of calcium. Take the powder back and get your money back. A sales person should not be prescribing these things. She is not a doctor.

The behavior you describe is pretty out of the ordinary for a 7 month old. I agree with you that it is not teething. I have no problem with you driving her around to get her to sleep *if it works*. It sounds a bit extreme for her to fight sleep this way, and at some point, you are going to have to take control of her behavior. I know that in the metropolitan New York area there are "sleep experts" who will come in and help with a problem like this. You might see if there is anyone like that where you live.

Good luck.

Source(s): hospital IBCLC and mother's group leader 20+ years mom to 3

1

Source(s): Insomnia Treatment http://renditl.info/StopInsomniaForEver

It sounds as though she's overtired. If she's not napping during the day it's going to be harder for her to sleep at night. You need to start putting her down to sleep before she starts getting clumsy and passing out. Find a soft toy or blanket that she can cuddle with, sometimes a crib soother can help because it gives them something to focus on and forget about falling asleep. She will probably fuss, but that's to be expected. If she cries, go in and calm her down after a few minutes but then put her back to bed.

Are you sure the problem is not just that you are missing early cues of her getting sleepy, and then ending up dealing with an overtired baby who should've been nursed down to sleep twenty minutes prior?

"she won't "cry it out" in her bed.. i've left her for 30 minutes and couldnt take hearing her scream"

O christ! Try harder in the future, please...

Also, stop falling for wives' tales. Babies are hard work. The "tablets" are homeopathic nonsense, just sugar tablets; you don't need tea or calcium or any of that junk. Milk -- stories -- cuddles. Try a baby sling, too.

My personal favourite is Kava root tea it make me slimmer anyway Varieties of herbal teas are practically limitless, but include: Anise tea, made from either the seeds or the leaves. Asiatic pennywort leaf, in Southeast Asia Artichoke tea. Bee Balm Dried chamomile blossoms with bits of dried apple and cinnamon, to be used for teaCitrus peel, including bergamot, lemon and orange peel. Dandelion coffee Dill tea, often consumed to ease upset stomach. Echinacea tea, often consumed to prevent or alleviate the cold or flu symptoms. Elderberry European Mistletoe (Viscum album), (steep in cold water for 2–6 hours) Essiac tea, a blended herbal tea. Fennel Traditional weightloss herb, good for the relief of vision problems. Gentian Chamomile tea is used as a sedative. Ginger root Ho Yan Hor, a herbal tea recipe formulated by Malaysian Chinese Honeybush is related to rooibos and grows in a similar area of South Africa, but tastes slightly sweeter. Horehound Houttuynia Scorched rice, known as hyeonmi cha in Korea Skullcap Serendib (tea), an anti-diabetic tea from Sri Lanka Sobacha Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) leaves used to make a tea by some native peoples of eastern North America Yarrow Yerba Mate Popular in South America. Scientific name Ilex paraguariensis

• david

herbs are drugs to a little baby, never give any kind of herb or tea without doctors permission. You should try a different doctor and be insistent that the new one is more helpful than the current one.

• Carol

id be careful as some herbs can be harmful to baby.