Is this information on elephants true?

"Elephants have been known to die of broken hearts if a mate dies. They refuse to eat and will lay down, shedding tears until they starve to death. They refuse all human help."

Is this true?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

It sounds a bit apocryphal but elements of it are certainly plausible...

As far as we know and generally accept, humans are the only animal to shed tears through emotion - cry. No other animal 'cries'. I am aware that elephants are intelligent animals and anyone that observes how they react around (for example) the remains of one of their own cannot fail to see a deep, emotional attachment and a sense of mourning and sadness. I can imagine a situation in which the strength of the bond between two individuals is sufficient to cause lasting heartache, I can neither vouch for, nor refute the degree to which you say...one thing is certain, they are one the most caring and emotional animals on the planet.

Just watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjtrdpSwEUY

Youtube thumbnail

• 5 years ago

Absolutely!! So, it is believed and to some extent scientifically proven that elephants remember everything they see and feel. This is a very important tool for their survival. The matriach which leads the herd knows all the vital sources of food and water along their migration path and during her life time passes on this information to the younger members of the herd. Sometimes, the herd may change routes because of various circumstances and even these alternative routes and sources should be remembered. And they are. Elephants have the largest brains among all land mammals and since the brain does not do as much activity as the human brain does (like talk, innovate and so on), there is lot of space there to remember things. Once, two elephants who used to be at the same circus were seperated because of some circumstances and tens of years later when the two came face to face, they immediately reconginsed each other with trumpets of joy and reunion. While that is just a basic example of their memory capabilities, it still shows that elephants remember everything.

• 1 decade ago

Elephants experience many of the same emotions as people do, ones that are usually restricted to being that of humans’, seldom seen in animals. Elephants are capable of sadness, joy, love, jealousy, fury, grief, compassion and distress.

so the case you mentioned may be true!

• 1 decade ago

I don't know this of my own experience but there seems to be a lot of testimony about it on the internet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-400818/Ele...

It seems they have strong emotions, similar to human emotions. This is experienced and testified to by people who have spent many years with elephants in the wild and in captivity.

Good luck.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Nicky
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No. It might be possible that the minds of Indian elephants have become so corrupted by abuse that they take to such characteristics, but it is not natural.

Put it this way, in normality, it takes one bull and he has a harem. Kind of disagrees with the mating for life deceit.

• 1 decade ago

I've never heard that about elephants but I know wolves are very loyal to their mates.

• 1 decade ago

No, even women will never do so!!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.