Culturally speaking, why is everyone so obsessed with race?

I honestly don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with being black or being white. It's only a color. We're all the same. The only reason black people are darker is because they are from Africa. Africa is a hot continent that is exposed to a lot of sun. This causes darker pigmentation. This trait... show more I honestly don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with being black or being white. It's only a color. We're all the same. The only reason black people are darker is because they are from Africa. Africa is a hot continent that is exposed to a lot of sun. This causes darker pigmentation. This trait was then passed down through generations.
Why do you people honestly care about what race you are? This is the 21st century. Open your eyes. We have a black president. There are interracial couples. There are some people mixed with multiple races. What is the point of there still being a "KKK" in some small parts of Texas? (I live in Houston, Texas, which is actually mostly Hispanic). I mean, some white people, not all, are so ignorant. What reason do you have to hate black people? YOUR ancestors enslaved them. The most they ever did was do white people's work and eventually earn their freedom. Stop being so bitter.
So tell me, why are you people on here so obsessed with race? (Only speaking to those who constantly put down the other race) Why does it matter if you're white or black? And why do you get in behind your keyboard where no one can see you to say something about it? Why are you so ignorant? GET OVER IT.