Windows(xp) could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt : WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM?

I'm having a fujitsu laptop,it was all fine till today when I start my laptop after school, I got the following Message "Windows(xp) could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt : WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". I search online for solution and most required me to use the windows setup disk. But the problem is, my windows is pre-installed, all I have was the recovery disk that is provided by fujitsu. But I have a very imp file that I saved in c drive that I really need it! Any idea how I can retrieve the file? Would i be able to retrieve the file if I were to reformat my laptop?

Favorite Answer

Your system cannot start because this is a critical boot file, and something has happened to the file. You can try replacing the file or doing a repair install from the recovery console (put in your recovery disk and select "boot from cd") as described here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/99405...

Another option is you could make a Linux live boot cd and then boot from that. Linux is a different operating system (like Windows, but free) and you could access and copy/backup your files that way, then reinstall Windows. Good luck.

Try starting in the "Safe Mode". If you are online to ask this question then you can find a site like bootdisk.com (I think that url is correct) and get the file you need

Hi,

You can use an IDE/SATA to USB Adapter like this one:

http://www.topmicrousa.com/bt-300.html

After you retrieve the files, then reformat it.

Good luck and I hope I helped!

Source(s): Personal expereience

contact Fujutsu through their support

OR

Take out the Hard drive

Plug it into another computer

and use that to browse for files (hopeful it isn't ruined)

Use some hdd recovery tools like HDD regenerator or whatever floats your boat

copy all files you need

reformat and reinstal

• ?

go into the bios & change first boot t ur HD, then save ur files t a flash drive, then do the recovery>:) Voila

Source(s): Charles personal experience

Once you format, you can never retrieve the file, again (everything will be gone).