Which animals do you think of as dishonest?

I'm currently editing a fantasy novel, and there's a place where I've referred to a person who's lying as a "smug toad". It occurred to me that the association between toads and dishonesty is specific to Earth (and maybe to English-speaking cultures), so I ought to try to come up with something different.

So can anyone think of another animal that you might personify as a habitual liar? Which animals do non-English cultures on Earth see as dishonest? Ideally it should be one that's native to Europe (including the British Isles), because that's what I'm using as a basis for the flora and fauna.

(Suggested category: Food & Drink -> Vegetarian and Vegan. D'oh...)

I always thought of hyenas as knowing more than they're letting on. Also, ferrets.

And Abby's answer made me think of raccoons.

A Sssssnake

It's not native to Europe, but what about a chameleon? They kind of lie, in the sense that they use camoflage to disappear. Or carpet-sharks! Although, "You smug carpet-shark" doesn't sound too good...

Snakes, foxes (ie. "sly fox"), rats (ie. "rat fink"), weasels, ferrets, minks, toads, lizards...I can't say that I consider them all as being dishonest, per se, but they are the animals I hear most commonly associated with liars and cheats.

• Lmao @ the suggested category.

Well, I'd consider a fox to be sly, and would probably "lie".

Maybe that'd work for you?

:D

Source(s): I has a questiooon. Maybe you could answer it ;3 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201010...

i agree with everyone a "Hyena, Fox, Wolf" are Great Evil Creatures for Stories

Probably a fox. You always hear the term, "Sly Fox," and sly means sneaky.

I'd have to say a rug. You catch them at it pretty much everywhere. Not sure of their genus, however.

(Hoping you forgive me for that! I find it impossible to attribute our more malicious human traits to animals.)

~

• Kitty

Other than humans, probably bats. I would never trust a bat.

• puffor

Hyenas.. anything for a laugh!