As Stephen Hawking said “It would be very hard to explain why the Universe should have begun in just this way,?

except as the act of a God who intended to create beings like us”, is that why he’s opted for the very hard explanation of creation out of nothing, by nothing, at no time?
Update: Yes, Gazoo, I do know the man is an atheist, and I do know the quote is from his book, which explains his view, but no - I am not making an argument. I'm asking a question. For those who found the actual question a tad elusive, I'm picking up on his phrase about it being very hard to explain the Universe... show more Yes, Gazoo, I do know the man is an atheist, and I do know the quote is from his book, which explains his view, but no - I am not making an argument. I'm asking a question.
For those who found the actual question a tad elusive, I'm picking up on his phrase about it being very hard to explain the Universe except by an act of God. I then wonder if his alternative explanation is not even harder to explain (given the lack of scientific proof for it.)

And Kuma, it would be wonderful if we could all just reflect on the fact of our Universe without first trying to eliminate God from any processes involved in its existence. After all, scientists keep telling us they are working backwards, to the Big Bang. But they cannot say what caused the Big Bang, or how the immensely condensed atomic particle came about (let alone suddenly 'decided' to expand!). Wouldn't it be refreshing if scientists just said, "We don't know further back than that. We've reached our limit"?
Update 2: Everybody! Do read Martin T's answer on page 2, starting with "The quote is from...." It's a very balanced over-view of the subject! Thank-you, Martin.