Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

I keep hearing people tell Christians "judge not lest ye be judged" but what does that really mean?

It seems to be the only verse people preach to Christians but skip the rest of the verses.

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment

John 7:24

Example: Homosexuality. If we say it is a sin we are accused of judging. Yet the bible clearly states it is and that a person who practices it will not inherit the kingdom of God.

(See: Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9, 2 Timothy 3:2-3, Romans 1:27-32, Matthew 19:4-6, Jude 1:7, Leviticus 18:22)

The bible says to preach and to warn.

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables

2 Timothy 4:2-4

When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Ezekiel 33:8

What kind of person would I be if I knew that a freind was living in sin and was going to end up in Hell (as the bible states) and I do not warn that person how is that an act of love? If you care and love for that person you warn them right?

So the bible states....

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Matthew 7:1

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned:...

Luke 6:36

What does that really mean?

Thanks for all your answers, highly appreciated

I just used Homosexuality as an example because its such a hot topic right now.

But God cares about all the others sins also. Lying, stealing, fornication ect.

And I know God died for all sinners.

When the subject of judging comes up among believers, the first place most Christians go to is Matthew 7:1.

Matthew 7:1.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Most people will stop right there, and conclude, "Jesus said don't judge." But we've got to read on to see this in context, so that we can determine what he was really saying.

Matthew 7:2.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with the measure which ye measure with, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thy own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thy eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thy own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thy own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Now it becomes clear. Jesus wasn't saying, "Don't judge." He was saying, "Don't judge your brother without first judging yourself." His exhortation was to remove the plank or beam from your brother's eye first, so that you can see clearly to remove the speck of sawdust from your brother's eye.

Part of the problem we have with judging is that when people say "judge" they usually mean or imply "condemn," but that is not what is talked about here. "To judge" means "to make a distinction" or "to separate." You judge every day, in every aspect of life. You had to make a judgment in order to decide what clothes to wear today, or what to eat. We are also responsible for judging between truth and error. What are we not supposed to judge right now? People's hearts! God has not authorized us to judge other people's hearts and minds.

• Karen

It means I should try my best to understand; because I can judge nothing I do not understand. Sometimes I do this well and it is a triumph for both of us. Sometimes I do this well and it is something I wish I did not see. Sometimes I do this poorly and it is a funny 'truth'. Sometimes I do this poorly and make an @ss of myself. But I am always willing to consider an appeal. It is the same process I subject myself to - and try to judge the judgment passed on me as well. Going to heaven or hell does not rest within my judgment no matter what I decide about anything for others - I am not even certain that it matters how I judge myself. That is God's decision. MY judgments I question - I trust God's judgments.

• I'm not a homosexual and I am not judging others when I post these verses:

Matthew 19:4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

1 Corinthians 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

1 Timothy 1:9 understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, 10 the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers,liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Romans 1:26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Jude 1:7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Hebrews 13:4 Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

Source(s): the Holy Bible
  • To the first poster, The Bible has to be STUDIED, it's not something Christians just know, That is why she is asking questions, so she can LEARN, wise guy.

Anyway, It is basically saying that no one has the right to judge another because we ALL will have to face judgment from God one day.

Yes it's important to spread the word of God, but think of how many people that will actually respond positively by you telling them that they will go to hell? That tactic doesn't really work.

Jesus wants us to spread the Gospel- which is good news, telling people they are going to hell isn't good news. The good news is that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and gave us the gift of life and eternal happiness, all we need to do is accept him and love him, THATS what we should be preaching! in my opinion.

In your example: "Homosexuality. If we say it is a sin we are accused of judging. Yet the bible clearly states it is and that a person who practices it will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Nothing in the Bible implies it's any of your business whether or not another person practices it, nor does it give you authority to act in your god's stead. You make a very large leap between the two sentences and cross the line between deciding what you do and deciding what others may do.

It's quite simple. If you go around threatening hell upon all us evil sinners you better be dang-on sure you are living a perfect life.

Matthew 7:1-5 1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Luke 6:37: "“Moreover, stop judging, and YOU will by no means be judged; and stop condemning, and YOU will by no means be condemned. Keep on releasing, and YOU will be released."

"The first-century Pharisees judged others harshly, in keeping with unscriptural traditions. Any of Jesus’ listeners who did that were to “stop judging.” Instead, they were to “keep on releasing,” that is, forgiving the shortcomings of others. The apostle Paul gave similar counsel regarding forgiveness, as noted above." "Jesus was keenly aware that imperfect humans often have a tendency to be judgmental. He counseled: “Stop judging that you may not be judged.” (Matt. 7:1) Notice that Jesus did not say: “Do not judge”; he said: “Stop judging.” He knew that many of his listeners were already in the habit of being critical of others." It is not our place to judge others but to plainly put what the scriptures say. We cant be prejudiced or judge others but we allow the Bible to do the talking.

www.watchtower.org

Source(s): The Bible - New World Translation *** w08 5/15 p. 9 par. 13 Keep On Doing Good *** *** w08 3/15 p. 26 par. 5 Do You View Others as Jehovah Does? ***
  • ....

This is why many will never come to Christ because we judge them on the spot! Now that they heard enough of this, they now think God is out to get them, and will never come to Christ! We will have to give an account of ourselves before God one day on this. When we judge others, we are justifying ourselves before God which is a sin. Sin is so deep that many times we don't see our errors.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mk. 4.24

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

The Gospel according to St. Matthew 7

Source(s): What people mean when they say that to Christians is that those particular Christians are a bunch of judgmental hypocritical jackasses. I didn't bother to read the rest of your disjointed Babble quotes.

Judgement (krinó) ..... http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2919.htm

Judgement (krima) ..... http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2917.htm

Judgement (katakrinó) ...... http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2632.htm

Judgement (krisis) ....... http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2920.htm

1 Peter 4v17

For it is time for judgement (krima) to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Romans 2v1

You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement (krinó) on someone else, for at whatever point you judge (krinó) the other, you are condemning (katakrinó) yourself, because you who pass judgement (krinó) do the same things.

John 7v24

Judge (krinó) not according to the appearance but judge (krinó) righteous judgement (krisis).

There are two things that can be judged......that of the flesh (outward sins) and that of the heart (inward sins).

Judgement of the flesh......

The focus is "judge (krinó) not....or you will be judged (krinó)" ...... http://biblos.com/matthew/7-1.htm

Jesus was drawing people's attention to the way they judged.....they judged other's without first judging themselves. This is further established by his speck-plank in the eye statement .... http://bible.cc/matthew/7-3.htm.

If we are going to judge outwardly (sins of the flesh) we need to judge ourselves first ...... after we have done this and found that we comply with the requirements of the particular issue (and have done so for some time) then we are able to judge outwardly (the sins of the flesh).

This brings me to the next issue ..... judging the heart (inward sins)

It is evident that no one is entitled to do this openly except through the anointing of God because only He knows our hearts ...... http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/14-25.htm ....... http://bible.cc/psalms/7-9.htm ...... http://bible.cc/acts/5-3.htm

John 2v25 ...... Jesus knew what was in the heart of man

When He was approached by the rich young man He knew the man's heart (he loved worldly gain, riches, money), Jesus response to the man's questions was not to directly rebuke him about his love for money but to let him know what his next step was....sell his possessions.....http://bible.cc/matthew/19-22.htm

Jesus could judge him in this matter both outwardly and inwardly because He himself had complied with the issues involved......it wouldn't surprise me if Jesus sold all His possessions before commencing His ministry.

This man was a seeker and Jesus response is in accord with this.

When Jesus was dealing with a Pharisee or Sadducee His response was different because He was dealing with a different type of heart (hardened & blinded) ....

.... Matthew Ch 12 & Ch 23

So in conclusion.....we can judge the flesh (outward sins) if we ourselves comply with the issue. We can judge inwardly (sins of the heart) also but likewise we have to first judge ourselves accordingly and then 'move' in the realm of the Spirit of God and see what He wants us to say or do.....Romans 8v1-8

Hebrews 5v14

But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.