Matt
Matt asked in SportsAuto RacingNASCAR · 1 decade ago

When will NASCAR lose it's redneck image with clueless idiots?

Don't get me wrong, I think hicks are awesome, but it's really annoying when people poke fun at NASCAR when their *** would get wrecked after 1 lap at 'Dega. So when will that stereotype finally be dropped?

it's impossible for me to ignore a troll. i have an urge to go and insult the person lol

I'm not American and I grew up watching open-wheel (F1) and saloon-car racing (Touring Cars). A fan of refined racing if you will. But I actually enjoy NASCAR because it is the complete opposite! F1 used to be close, with cars even bumping each other late into the 80's, but that does not happen anymore. Touring Cars were even closer, very few drivers finished a race without a scratch or had both side-mirrors still attached to their car. But Touring Cars have slid in my opinion.

NASCAR is the last motorsport in my opinion where the size of a mans cajoles still count for a lot. I don't really like the small speedways but Super-speedways are insane. Seeing 43 cars bumper to bumper and 3 abreast flat-out, that takes something special. And the personal battles and vendettas some drivers have with each other, adds to the sport.

I think NASCAR should keep as much of that imagery as it can, because if it gets sanitised like F1 has, the sport will lose all it's appeal. I wanna see cars bumping & scrapping, drivers shouting over their radios, drivers fighting in the pits, women flashing and people getting hammered and cheering wrecks. That's NASCAR. That's it's appeal. Take that away and it is no longer NASCAR.

Like I say, I'm not American, but who cares if people think you're a redneck because you watch NASCAR? You do not need any ones permission to watch or enjoy a certain sport.

They'll never stop. These bozos are clueless. Just because they know nothing about motorsports or cars for that matter they poke fun and think you have to be a redneck to race. Seriously is Jimmie Johnson a redneck? Being from El Cajon, CA I doubt it. Kevin Harvick, Bakersfield, CA highly unlikely. Just because NASCAR originated in the south these morons just assume that it's redneck. These are the people that you see along the highway broke down and have to call triple A or use their fancy on-star to get help. These idiots can't even change a flat tire!

Source(s): love racing
  • I Don't take you Wrong here,

BUT..I Don't think "Red Necks" are awesome at All !!!

( BTW...I DON'T Think ALL Southerners are "Red Necks" ether )

and Just because a Driver is from California or New York doesn't mater at all...

when it comes to a "Red Neck" or whomever that pulls for them.

(Jeff Gordon ((and Now Jimmie Johnson)) got popular just like Richard Petty

Or Dale Earnhardt did, because they Won at lot of races).

Over the last 2 decades, Nascar Hasn't embraced or played the "Country" music

that was traditionally custom with Nascar racing in the south like it used to be,

(They play Modern and even Hard/alternative Rock during televised broadcast now days)

Unfortunately a lot of "So-called Nascar Fans"

only seem to root or embrace whoever is the Best driver/team at the time,

and to Me "That" Is a Cop-out..OR Red Neckish if you like.

As far as Nascar Losing it's "Red neck Image", It may never will.

(and Maybe..it shouldn't)

The Supposedly more "Classy" racing fan like that of Open wheel racing of Indy or "F1"

have Always thought Nascar was ..."Barbaric" with its Beating and Banging and wreaking others, But some of us like That kind of "No holds barred" racing.

(that Once Was...and now they are trying to get in a since)

Rubbing "IS" Racing ! Fenders are meant to be bent, and that aspect will be

associated with the Nascar fans as being "Red Neck"

So...I guess I'm a Red neck cause I like that type of racing.

Source(s): * BTW...In MY Opinion, as being a nascar fan for over 30 years now, Nascar Allowing "Hendrick" racing with continuously getting away with something that the Other teams are not allowed (or Maybe Found) is what is Killing its popularity. Fans Got Tired of the "24" of Always winning races and Cups, now its the 48 !!! When will it Stop ?!?!? Nascar Is KILLING ITSELF!!! *

I'm not a NASCAR fan, so maybe I can offer some perspective.

I think a lot of non-fans are somehow threatened by the huge surge in popularity that NASCAR gained in the last decade or so. I'll admit it's annoying to have to sit through NASCAR coverage when I'm waiting for them to get to the MLB or NFL news on SportsCenter. But that's just the way it is - the more popular, the more coverage.

It seems to me that NASCAR's popularity is starting to go down. Perhaps a lot of the idiots will shut up when it goes back down from a 2nd-tier sport to a 3rd-tier sport as it used to be.

Jimmie, Jeff, and Kevin Harvick are from California. If the "clueless idiots" think people from California are redneck, hicks, then they are going to have a hard time having any credibility, and will be just making themselves look like the morons they are. I think anyone should just stand back and politely smile.

when all they're doing is blowing hot air.

Hey, those "redneck idiots" have kept the sport alive and growing all these years. There must be something likeable about them. Besides, I'm fron New England, have been to Loudon many times and Richmond just as many. Southern fans are so much more exciting, fun and make for a fun filled weekend all around. Northerners just sit quietly and listen to their expensive radios, shirts still on, and no crazy arm waving like they are going to propel their drivers themselves to the front. Booooring.

Here is how I see it,

People are going to joke and poke, some in fun with no malice. Then there are some that do it out of Spite and Hate..

There is always going to be Stereo typing because people have their Opinions,and that's their right. whether they are right or wrong.

when you let someone manipulate you and push your buttons you are giving that person control over you, in return you give them their sick little self gratification they crave.

The hicks will disappear and go away and so will nascar soon as we get some liberal democrats in there racing .. We will have change and get college educated people in there and it will go all to hell lol

WHEN THE COWS COME HOME.strange it seemed to me,that image was smashed at least 20 years ago.It is a shame that you even bring it up.I guess old habits are impossible for some to drop.At least i am living in 2010,not 1949. thank you

Source(s): books,many
  • Hootie

Every person is entitled to his/her own opinion...whether or not you may agree with it. I think as you get older, you will see that you come to have a greater respect and tolerance for the opinions of others.