What is an appropriate age to tell your child that things such as the tooth fairy and Santa Clause aren't real?

My daughter is 8 years old and going into third grade. I remember being that age and knowing that I didn't believe in anything like that, but I don't want to ruin it for her too early. (Mine was spoiled for me at a very early age by an older sibling). I also remember that kids got made fun of in third... show more My daughter is 8 years old and going into third grade. I remember being that age and knowing that I didn't believe in anything like that, but I don't want to ruin it for her too early. (Mine was spoiled for me at a very early age by an older sibling). I also remember that kids got made fun of in third grades (and later ones) for believing in Santa Clause, tooth fairy, etc.

I was just wondering what ages other parents were letting their child know that those things don't exist.