Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 1 decade ago

Steven Gerrard better than Paul Scholes?

Zidane did an interview and said Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world and he will be remembered as the greatest English midfielder of all time.

Do you agree with him, he went on to say he was better than Gazza and Paul Scholes

This should get the United fans biting.

@ zionist, hope you have brought a big net with you ;) scholes is better btw

Scholes and Gerrard play the same game. Although Scholes was past his best, Gerrard is still slightly in his prime. Scholes prime vs Gerrard prime I would go with Scholes because of what he has won at United

Zidane obviously incurred some serious brain damage as a result of that infamous headbutt -

Gerrard will never be better than Paul Scholes or even Gazza !!

Nobody could possibly take Zidane seriously any more, especially with rubbish like that coming from his mouth.

• ?

No.

In his prime, Scholes was way better than Gerrard. Gerrard is no where near the best midfielder in the world. Xavi, Iniesta, Lampard, Fabregas, Ronaldo...I can keep naming players better than Gerrard. He is good but is wearing out with age.

Yo guys i kno most of u will disagree wiv me but i think Cesc Fabregas is better dan Gerrard.

Fabregas does a lot for Arsenal and hes won da world cup well he set up the winning goal. i think Fabregas because he performs well for Club and Country. Gerrard doesnt perform for country dat well.

For ur question yh i think Scholes overall is better dan Gerrard. he tackles well and also produces amazing passes and can also score and defend. Gerrard is alright.

• David

No, Paul scholes is far better, Gazza was far better. Gerrard maybe okay for Liverpool at best but for England he is way below par.

That's funny...he once said Scholes was the best..silly frog...

Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can’t tackle, but his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Sam Allardyce : "There is not a better midfield player in the world."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Ray Wilkins : "I'm saddened because I think we as spectators, not only in this country but right through out Europe and the rest of the World, will be missing one hell of a footballer."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who's the best english player : "Paul Scholes."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

David Beckham said that, among his teammates at Real Madrid, which included Zinedine Zidane, Raúl, Ronaldo, Luís Figo and Roberto Carlos, Scholes was the most admired opponent : "He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from some of those players is great."

Source(s): btw Scholes sh*ts on Gerrard
  • Nick

This is why I posted that article, Zidane said Ribery is good and since he was a United target, everyone had to agree. He says something similar about Gerrard and everyone will jump up to disagree. Double standards.

Well If the greatest midfielder of all time says so then it must be true

Scholes is one of the dirtiest player's i've ever seen.

Now let's see how many thumbs down I get from the man utd fans because they can't stand the truth

• Dan

if scholes coukd tackle he may have been but how can somone be rated the most complete mid when he can not tackle