Poll: Slash/Yaoi in fiction? Turn On/Turn Off?

Okay, now my question is for a civilized debate. That means no bashing or flaming or hateful comments, okay? Please and Thank You.

What are your opinions on the use of yaoi- commonly called slash- as a literary element in fiction? Times and views are changing, and seem to be becoming more accepting of the concept. I'm not just talking about main characters, but what if your female protagonist had a 'sassy gay friend', so to speak. Would it be a turn off for you reading that story just because of that? What about if the entire story *did* revolve around a homosexual or bisexual main character and if the love interest was of the same gender?

I am asking this as a serious writer and reader to other serious writers and readers. I'd just like to hear people opinions.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes I do write and read Yaoi fiction and I quite like it as long as it's well written and well thought out.

Thank you to all the replies so far. It is interesting to know. I am a hopless romantic, and it doesn't matter to me if the characters are both male, or both female, or male and female. I read a very engaging story once of a man coming to terms with knowing his HS girlfriend had ended up having a sex change and he discovered he still loved her/him. Very moving.

@ Lavender Blonde: Try 'Dreamspinner Press', a website. It sells e-books and paperbacks you might like. Personally, I like Clare London.

• MJ

You know what I personally think is disgusting? Heterosexual love stories. Ugh.

I like books where there are gay people in it. It makes me happy, unless it's just a really stereotypically, not fleshed out character (like the "sassy gay friend" o.o;).

I love reading about gay couples. It's always new and exciting. I feel like I've read every single thing that a heterosexual couple can do that it gets so boring after a while. I'm always reading slash and I wouldn't voluntarily read a non-slash romance novel, where it's nothing but romance. There's barely any gay books anyway so, it sucks.

There's something so adorable about two girls together, and especially two guys.

Im into impossibly meaningfull love stories if ever theres one i get interested in reading. None of the impulsive sult licks and chapter long sex scenes for me. If I can believe that the characters really love each other, no matter who they are, Id get drawn into it.

• juieta

i will fully relate on your better half the only time I take my socks off are interior the bathe, i will't stand to no longer have socks on my ft i think of if a guy is troubled approximately me wearing socks then i'm no longer doing a competent pastime as they should not be conscious if I even have them on or off if we are having sexmy ft for the period of intercourse

I personally think it's disgusting, but I have a lot of friends who LOVE yaoi and are raging fangirls. I wouldn't mind it if it had a good, meaningful plot and the whole focus wasn't on the couple.

It makes me uncomfortable. I don't have anything about gays, I pretty supportive really.