Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 10 years ago

can social services take a child away because the parents use class a drugs?

the child is very happy, thriving, always clean and tidy and loved dearly. she was made subject to a child protection order prior to her birth because i was using heroin, i made the mistake of being persuaded to go on methadone (rather than do what i wanted which was to wean myself off the heroin as quickly as possible) so, sadly she was born addicted to methadone. i've had social services breathing down my neck ever since, i have used occasionally since the birth and because of this i am scared they'll try to take my beautiful baby off me. i never use around her i do it when she's in bed and i never get so wasted that i couldn't look after her properly.

i didn't use as soon as i found out i was pregnant so to those who may wish to slag me off or call me a junkie i just want to say that i'm an adult and i feel that (as long as my baby isn't affected) its up to me what i choose to put into my body. i smoke it in the shed so no fumes can get to her.

i hope any answers will be constructive, thanks for your time.

well, ive known a few users in my years, and their kids were also fine, and social services werent too bothered... but, that was back then... now, everyone is running themselves ragged to avoid a rerun of any scandal...

i too had a nice little habit.. i got mine as a free gift from the NHS... and months on morphine... no one ever offered me methadone, i just kicked it... that was 20 years ago, and ive been clean ever since...

and whats the difference between a rabid pit bull and teh social services?

its easier to get the kids back off the pitbull...

As an adult, I'm sure you already know you are dancing with danger. Yes, social services would take your precious baby if they found out you are using any unlawful drug. Especially with your history. You need to make a choice between your drugs and your baby. Which do you really want? If it is the drugs, then arrange to allow someone to adopt your child so they will never have to enter the foster care system. The likelihood of you being found out someday, is great. Whatever it is that attracts you to the drugs is going to destroy your life in the end. Look around you.

They won’t take a child aware purely because you’re a drug user. You need to work with them though – don’t go making the mistake of trying to keep them at bay by not cooperating (as tempting as it might be when you feel they’re hassling the hell out of you) This will give them a greater cause for concern because they cannot monitor the situation and in turn, it increases the chances of them having to intervene with protection orders.

• V

Until you admit your a junkie, your child is in danger. The fact that you think social services is 'breathing down your neck' shows that you are more worried about getting caught than your child. If you honestly think your child is not affected by your herion use simply because your are smoking in the shed...then you are missing the real point. I say this as an ex drug abuser and a parent. Until you are willing to confront it and beat it, you are not fit to parent. If you can't quit for yourself, then do it for your child.

it is truly sad that you think this is ok....u says it doesn't affect her but wat happens when they take her from her mother because you would rather use drugs than look at the most innocent thing in the world and raise her with respect for herself...because everyday she is growing and learning and it wont be long before she knows what you are doing and she will assume this is ok because the one person in the world that she should be able to lean on,respect and learn from is a dope head...if you loved that child like you say you love her then you would stop what your doing and take care of yourself ..for her well being...no child wants a junkie for a mother...it is hard on them ad embarrassing and will make her a social outcast...all because u chose to be a loser...i hope they take her and you never see her again...IT IS NOT OK

• Sal*UK

I know a methadone addicted mother - she does a great job with her daughter. Yes, SS keep a close eye on her but she deals with it. Do your best to get off the gear, it will be so much better for you both. Good luck.

Unfortunately the drugs are still controlling you and also the fact that you are concerned that you could have your baby taken into care tells me simply you love your drugs more than you love your baby

Yes, they can take your child and hopefully they will. If you are any kind of a parent you will stop being so selfish and get yourself in to a rehab program. It doesn't matter if you are smoking in a shed, everything you put in your body is going to affect your baby. Ignorant people like you should not be allowed to reproduce. Please get your tubes tied and never put another child through this again.

• A

They can. It really doesn't matter that you smoke in the shed. It stays on you for 2hrs and will whether you choose to believe it or not affect your child.

my answer....I do hope so.