How come Google provides no search suggestions for the word "lesbian"?

Try it--does google think it's a dirty word?

• Molly

Yep. Lesbians are often thought of as girls in porn movies. If you go on youtube it doesn't have a result for lesbians either but when you hit search it's mainly video teasers of lesbian porn. I typed "lesbian" into photobucket and this is what came up "Your search term probably relates to adult content. Photobucket DOES NOT host sexually explicit content.

Warning: If you are under 18 or live in an area where it is illegal for you to view explicit content try another search."

The same thing in photobucket happens when you type in "gay". But lesbians are definitely more often associated with pornos. And it's sad and ignorant because it's the farthest from the truth. Most "lesbians" in pornos are straight. It really gives a bad name to true lesbians. I don't want to be associated with porn and or thought of as a sex image that straight guys whould enjoy watching or "getting in on some lesbian action". It's degrading.

Guys, they don't mean results, they mean predictions. Where you type a word into the search bar and Google brings up a list of predictions about what you might be looking for.

I don't know why, and that's always bothered me. It gives a bad impression to people speculating about their own sexuality, like being a lesbian is taboo, or something. Must make them feel pretty unaccepted, even though it's such a small thing. I guess it's because so many links to pornography are brought up and they don't want kids stumbling across that accidentally. But I still think it's wrong.

Here's what I got when I searched on the term "lesbian": About 88,300,000 results (0.33 seconds) My guess is that the search filtering preferences in Google on your brower are set to "safe". If you click on "Advanced Search" in Google, then click on "Search Settings" up at the top right hand side of your browser, then go to "SafeSearch Filtering" about 2/3 of the way down the screen, your filter might be set at "Safe". Change the setting to "No filtering", then click the <Save Preferences> button, close the window and quit the browser. Restart your browser and try searching on the term "lesbian". You should get a BUNCH of suggestions -- several tens of millions of them, in fact.

I will never understand why lesbians aren't accepted. People must think that lesbian is sexually explicit or something. However, if you type "gay" there are plenty of suggestions.

"Bisexual"? Nothing.

"Homosexual"? Plenty of stuff.

Who knows how Google's mind functions?

Check it out: there's a site called lesbian.com. I wonder what it holds...

Yeah, I noticed that they don't have anything for sexuality related things. I don't know if they do think it's dirty or not. I want it there, but I think it's because they don't want kids searching about sexuality and what not in school, not that it;s a bad thing

Check the google filter, because I received about 88,500,000 results

YES it does some 87,000,000 results

• Try "Bing" instead

try:

"carpet refurbishing"

It does. 88,000,000