How do atheists explain fine tuning of the universe?

It is a fact that the universe has characteristics that appear to be fine tuned. If just one of the constants is changed just a bit, life is not possible, or at least complex life is not. Some argue that life could still exist if you changed some of the universal constants life strength of gravity e.t.c. But you would still have to get lucky to get a combination suitable for life. Science does predict that there might be an infinite number of universes so you can be sure to end up with one with suitable characteristics. But there is no evidence for these universes. Their existence cant be proved. Atheists attack the existence of god because of no evidence. So you cant use the Infinite universe theory to explain fine tuning. Also the idea that Im the president of the united states in an alternate reality, seems kind of silly. Glad to hear your thoughts on this subject thanks.

Update:

I meant to write the universe is finely tuned and that is a fact! So Dont pick my words apart. You guys are making assumptions about what I believe in, dont.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

"It is a fact that the universe has characteristics that appear to be fine tuned."

Key word: appear

" If just one of the constants is changed just a bit, life is not possible, or at least complex life is not."

In cosmic terms, "a little bit" is a HUGE margin.

Bottom line: There is no "fine tuning" of the universe.

See Douglas Adams' parable of the puddle.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's not fine-tuned. Well, it is, but not by a creator. The fact is, we live on a planet that is just the right distance from the sun to have a temperature that we can survive in, suitable gravity to attract water and air, and many other factors crucial to our survival. But the fact that we live in such a place is not evidence of God-- we couldn't live anywhere else! The physical conditions for life were set before we evolved, so we naturally evolved to survive in the conditions we had available to us.

Think about how many planets there are out there, and life has not yet been found to have evolved on any of them except this one. If there was a creator, why didn't he create life on some of those as well? Its because of the sheer improbability that life can exist-- but a God should have been able to create life on any planet, just by varying the conditions required for survival! It would be better "proof" of God if humans were found living somewhere where the conditions were impossible for us, than somewhere where they are exactly suited to us.

• 1 decade ago

The universe is only about 4% baryonic matter (the stuff you can see), the rest is either dark matter (stuff with mass but does not interact with electromagnetic radiation) or dark energy (pushes things apart). Of the observable matter, less than 10% of it is stars, galaxies, etc. When you look at the big picture we are completely insignificant. All life on earth could come to an end and the rest of the universe wouldn't even notice. I find it hard to see how anyone would claim that the universe was somehow fine tuned just for us.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

How do I explain the way the universe appears to be the way we observe it to be? I think you answered the question yourself. True, while it makes logical sense, there is no evidence for the multiple universe hypothesis. There is also no evidence whatsoever for a supernatural being who created the universe out of nothing. I find the God hypothesis to be illogical and unreasonable. I mean, where did this supposed God come from? If He created everything, who created Him? To believe in God, you would have to accept that existence does not require a creator, which eliminates any metaphysical reason to accept the proposal that God had to create the world.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't feel that this is a question for atheists as science really has nothing to do with religion.The bible does not say that God created the whole universe, this has been misunderstood.He found a place and saw that it had light etc etc and then sent colonies of people to live there.They were not the first on earth however, so it disproves any religious related theories .It says quite clearly in Genesis that there were already people on the earth before Adam and Eve etc came here .Cain went to another land to find a wife for example.The universe has always been there , it cannot have been created .If that were possible then man would be able to replicate this , and he can't.

• 1 decade ago

''Appear'' is the key word here. As vast as the universe is many things will appear as they are not. As vast as the universe is there hast to be life . It's not God it's odds.

All I say is that I think it is damned unlikely that anything like a central cosmic will, a spirit world, or an eternal survival of personality exist. They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hair-splitter to pretend that I don't regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine. In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist.

• 1 decade ago

the same way we explain the horribly unfine tuned parts

its just how things are

it may "appear" to be fine tuned, but its just an appearance

is it not? appearance isnt as important as the intricare details and acutal reality

is it?

life is always possible, just not exactly as it is now, im a bit odded out that you would even say something like that

life adapts to its environment, not the other way around

its nothing to do with luck, its to do with how things are and how things work around and withthem

i dotn attack anything, i simply know things is all

if knowledge is an attack to you, id think you have more things to be concerned with than what i do or dont think about the universes order

• 1 decade ago

Yes I can, there is no fine tuning to our universe, and if you believe there is you have your head so far buried in the sand as to not even have a hint of daylight.

How can you look around even just our planet and assume there is a fine tuning to life? over 90% of species that have lived on this planet are extinct, some design. The VAST VAST majority of this planets surface is uninhabitable by human beings, god's supposed image, some design. The very existence of this solar system, planet, and even ourselves is dependent on billions of years of stars dying to produce the higher elements necessary for the formation of everything we see around us, and in 5 billion years, the sun will explode. some design

the nearest galaxy to us is on a collision course with the milky way, some design. Cancer, Birth defects, bacteria, natural disasters, sociopaths, lack of natural defenses in humans

some design.

either educate yourself, or stop being intellectually dishonest, you aren't fooling anyone

• 1 decade ago

Is Toyota doing the tuning?

Even without multiple infinite universes (something i don't really believe), there are millions upon millions of stars in uncounted galaxies. How many of them can support life? And this is right now. How about a million years ago? How about a million years from now? We exist in only a small window of time.

Back to your question, what is this 'fine tuning' you speak of?

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Not an atheist. We will take an assumption that time is like set of real numbers (not quantified), there exist every universe that is likely to happened (i.e. there exist 2 universes after we drop a coin) and in every moment one coin is dropped. Now lets say we begin with only one universe. So question here is how many universe we have after 1 unit of time? Hence there are 2 outcomes and we have continuum (cardinality of real numbers) coin flips the answer is 2^continuum (cardinality of all functions from real to {0,1} or real numbers). If we indeed have that many universes (or experiments) we can safely say that fine tuning is bound to happened (to be more precise any normed measure (probability) which is invariant by translation (like uniform probability) or at least is similar (prob of set is 0 iff measure is 0) (that is kind of annoying, I get it "normal probability", not some perverted probability) measures our set of all fined tuned universe as 1=100%. Not bound to happened but it's called almost certainly) Since we are here we can ask: "if this multiverse theory isn't true and we follow only one path how can we ask "what if?"?" and "how can we remember only one universe and have ability to choose our path in this multiverse mess?". My guess is that this is our freedom. How many different version of human being? 2^C. Any sane mathematician (if that person even exist) would say that what is describable is definable by finite amount of axioms. Hence set of all axioms are countable we can use diagonal technique to prove that there is only countable definable objects. But if we allow any sub-set of set of all axioms (including those who have countable cardinality) to be description we would only reach C. So here lies greatness in our potential diversity and undescribability (I call last one soul). In that chaos or darkness of unknown lies something always new and fresh (now you know what religion am I). But of course if we agree that number of universes made from one in one second is 2^C and we want half second to differ we would say that there are sqrt(2^C) universes implying uses of surreal numbers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.