Why do people believe in Gods and have "Faith"?

Are people just doing what the parents tell them?

Do parents allow their children to research other religions?

Is religion a by product of parental influence?

I just don't understand how most people can believe this stuff.

1) Have the believers even read the old testament and understand the horrible things that go on in it?

Some of this those stories make me sick to my stomach.

2) Where did all the different races come from?

3) What happens if you are some secluded person in a tribe in africa and never even heard of Jesus or Mohammad or any other prominent figure in religion. Are they punished for this?

4) As monstrous as the universe is why would a god be so concerned about us? we are a mere spec or "pale blue dot"

5) Studies have shown intelligent people are less likely to believe in a higher power? is this a coincidence?

6) As science proves more and more shouldn't that make us turn away from religion? Religion seems to have been used to explain the unexplainable. Natural Selection, evolution, astronomy, biology are all helping to explain how we came about and show all kinds of evidence while most people still turn to a Bible or Koran which were rewritten over and over and show no kind of evidence of an existence of god.

7) With so many religions out there what made you choose a certain one? parental influence? What makes that one right?

Do most of you actually believe that a great flood happened, Moses talked to god, Adam and Eve populated the world, the earth is only 6 thousand years old, people should be stoned for adultery and we should be allowed to have slaves?

I really believe that most people are Intelligent and only say they believe these things to fit in but I truly hope that they are smart enough to see though this but if we haven't yet I can only wonder if there is hope that we can change and start accepting things that may go against your parents.

Favorite Answer

I do believe in God, but I do not subscribe to any 1 religion.

ANSWER: Yes. To some, it makes God out to be a bi-polar punitive God who values human life even less than a blade of grass in some cases, and in other cases extols and plays favorites as between "his children". That is mostly the product of human ethnocentrism at work, not God at work.

RESPONSE: Yes. There's a lot of crazy stuff in the O.T. Some of its just there to scare the s&&t out of people so they will love God out of fear.

ANSWER: Evolution and the spread of humanity from the African continent across Europe, Asia, the isthmus between Alaska and Russia, and all the way down to South America, and across the oceans to Anzacs lands and the South Pacific islands, etc.

3) What happens if you are some secluded person in a tribe in Africa and never even heard of Jesus or Mohammad or any other prominent figure in religion. Are they punished for this?

ANSWER: No. It would be foolish to say that. What ethnocentric humans think of God and what God thinks of all humans are two different things. Obviously you cannot be punished for something you don't know about. But more importantly, what if that person knows God, and that's all he needs to know.

ANSWER: Good question. I think those who worship the Bible rather than God, just assume God is obsessed with humanity much more than humanity is obsessed with God.

ANSWER: I think I'm intelligent, I believe in God, but that is a spiritual choice and one that I feel in my heart, as that is where I found God. You cannot scientifically quantify an entity that exists in a person's heart.

ANSWER: It is my opinion that most religions do their best to stand between people and God, thereby making it harder for people to know God, rather than easier. Part of this is a brainwashing scheme to control hearts and minds, rather than encourage people to connect with God in their hearts first.

ANSWER: I was raised initially in the Lutheran Church, then sent to Hebrew School, and then chose to become a Catholic. I renounced Catholicism in 1978 and have chosen not to subscribe to any 1 religion ever since. So I choose not to choose at all. And that is MY choice.

As an aside, this makes it easier for me to connect with God in my heart rather than rely on others to connect me with God on their terms.

AND: Thumbs up to Karl P.

I'm far, far from a bible-thumper, but I do have spiritual beliefs. I find that the bible- along with many other ancient holy books has some really nice guidance, and some of the guidance strikes me as absurd, so I just overlook it.

The Great Flood? The talking lion? Those things don't make me a better person, but just because a few people have injected into the bible some wild stories that I wouldn't be required by God to believe in in order for Him to love me doesn't mean I think all of spirituality is a hoax.

Far from it. In fact, I believe in the spirit world and in living after death because the alternative would be to believe death is the end. That would mean I'd have to believe in a state of nothingness. But we are an evidence-centered society, are we not? I can't believe in a thing I have never experienced. I have only experienced "somethingness". As far as I know, there is no such thing as nothingness, and no one claims to have ever experienced it.

So I do believe of a state of being beyond this one little world- and if I can "be" and you can "be", then why can't God also be?

That's actually an interesting question. I haven't heart that one before. I think the fact that the brain is capable of adapting like that shows the complexity of God's creation. Think about it, if you made a computer but never gave it an operating system, would it work all? Would it be able to adapt to the circumstances and continue functioning? The human body is essentially a machine, a very very well designed machine. That being said, when mankind fell from grace in the garden of Eden, the perfect design of the machine became flawed. Things stopped working how they were supposed to. It's still a masterpiece, considering everything that has to go right in the human body on any given day for it to work properly. But the fact remains that just as the flaw of sin entered into our consciousness, flaws appeared in the human body. This is why despite God's intentions for Mankind, things like you mentioned can and do happen. If God already built into use to accept Him, then we wouldn't have free will. So He didn't build it into us.

1. Yes, they got what they deserved.

2. Its an adaptation or Microevolution. The races came from Adam and Eve, with people wondering to the different parts of the world.

3.Yes, thats why we are told to share the word.

4. Because he Loves us he always has and aways will and we are his creation, he made the rest of the universe to show his glory and show its beauty to us

5. Actually this isnt necessarily true.

6. Umm, science actually agrees that there must be an outside force that started us all off, yes there is evidence of a God just look around you everything is a part of his creation. All evolution is fiction except Microevolution.

7. I agree that it was partially because of parential influence but I have had experiences with God in my life which has given me my faith.

Yes i believe the flood, Moses talked to God(we all can), Adam and Eve, Earth 6000years old, people should be stoned for adultery, and yes i believe in slaves if they are paid properly for their work. .

Source(s): Christian Warrior
  • jo

Basically for the same reasons people go to the movies. A person needs even more faith to believe in nothing. But I am still an atheist nevertheless, thank God.

First of all, Christ didnt leave religion, he left faith. it was us humans who started coming up with all these religions. God is the higher power, he created the heavens and the earth. He created everything so fast and he can also make it end so very quickly. And no we are not a spec, to the world we might be but to God, we are his children, he loves us. if he didnt love us he wouldnt have sent his son to die for our sins.

My advice to the Asker. Next time some people come knocking on your door (not mormones though) ask them these questions. You'll be amazed if you listen to what answers Jehovah's witnesses will give you. Just give them enough time.

because faith requires no empirical proof, just commitment. better yet if you can control the education of the masses and limit your knowledge faith becomes all the more powerful.

So if you want to know why people have faith look to the poorest, isolated, least educated areas of our nation and the globe and you'll most likely find places with a lot of faith.

Read the poetry of William Wordsworth!

I think it's the idea of placing youself into a higher being's hands and knowing that there will be life after death...the idea that life itself is not an accident, and there's a higher purpose to all of this.

Source(s): Agnostic