Why do people believe in Gods and have "Faith"?

Are people just doing what the parents tell them? Do parents allow their children to research other religions? Is religion a by product of parental influence? I just don't understand how most people can believe this stuff. 1) Have the believers even read the old testament and understand the horrible... show more Are people just doing what the parents tell them?
Do parents allow their children to research other religions?
Is religion a by product of parental influence?

I just don't understand how most people can believe this stuff.
1) Have the believers even read the old testament and understand the horrible things that go on in it?
Some of this those stories make me sick to my stomach.
2) Where did all the different races come from?
3) What happens if you are some secluded person in a tribe in africa and never even heard of Jesus or Mohammad or any other prominent figure in religion. Are they punished for this?
4) As monstrous as the universe is why would a god be so concerned about us? we are a mere spec or "pale blue dot"
5) Studies have shown intelligent people are less likely to believe in a higher power? is this a coincidence?
6) As science proves more and more shouldn't that make us turn away from religion? Religion seems to have been used to explain the unexplainable. Natural Selection, evolution, astronomy, biology are all helping to explain how we came about and show all kinds of evidence while most people still turn to a Bible or Koran which were rewritten over and over and show no kind of evidence of an existence of god.
7) With so many religions out there what made you choose a certain one? parental influence? What makes that one right?

Do most of you actually believe that a great flood happened, Moses talked to god, Adam and Eve populated the world, the earth is only 6 thousand years old, people should be stoned for adultery and we should be allowed to have slaves?

I really believe that most people are Intelligent and only say they believe these things to fit in but I truly hope that they are smart enough to see though this but if we haven't yet I can only wonder if there is hope that we can change and start accepting things that may go against your parents.