Why are so many people opposed to the Obama Health care plan?

I am not an American citizen (actually English,British whatever you want to call it), but I have been following US politics closely through the papers since the last election started. I consider myself a liberal and fully support the proposed healthcare reform by Obama. The fact that 40,000 people in the US die... show more I am not an American citizen (actually English,British whatever you want to call it), but I have been following US politics closely through the papers since the last election started. I consider myself a liberal and fully support the proposed healthcare reform by Obama. The fact that 40,000 people in the US die annually from a lack of healthcare coverage is quite disturbing. I find it wrong that the insurance companies can just withdraw finance for someone (lets just take a break to realise that it's a living human being) who may being treated for something that is life-threatening, debilitating or affects their life in a way that they are unable to live it as everyone else can. I wonder how this cannot encroach severely on a person's human rights and/or such has happened with the US government to let this be the case. I do understand the fear of many with the US that the healthcare reform reeks of Communism and that fear that the Red(devil,bear,dragon or whatever your proposed figure for Communism is) is still alive and kicking and now proposes an even greater threat to your country as it may have affected your government. But why should people (American citizens no less) be left to die because there is simply nothing to support them. These are people who pay their taxes and support the state through that yet they have to rely on an NGO who is not obliged to help them for healthcare. Insurance companies are designed to make money, just like banks it clashes with their business strategy if they don't make money from helping people. And for those of you who ***** about how much it will cost, here's another question: Do you know what else is really expensive and is probably one of the most costly things a government can do? WAR. The combined Iraq and Afghan wars will and are costing the US government trillions and god only knows what the collateral will be for the region (I mean politically you guys have opened Pandora's box by giving militants a excuse to fight you) yet you turn a blind eye but when it comes to a beneficial healthcare plan for those who can pay greedy companies you are up in arms quoting parts of the constitution and finding any kind of legal bureaucracy you can to stop this plan in its tracks. WHY? (Sorry about the length, and I do understand that not every US citizen is opposed to this.) Thanks