Smart Roadster/Roadster Coupé. What do you think?

Is the Smart Roadster or Roadster Coupé a good car, what are the faults and what is good about it. Are there any severe problems that should make me not buy one?

Also what is the insurance like and what is the road tax like?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Nick C
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
    Best answer

Even though they are part of the Mercedes group I'm afraid they don't match up to the later Mercedes reliability. One of the main problems is engine failures with life expectancy being in the region of 35k miles. These cars where never designed for Motorway driving only local/city use. Have a look on the various MB/Smart forums and you will find endless reports of poor engine life.

• 4 years ago

The book figure for your car is 55mpg. The tank holds 35 litres. So you're right, you should get 400 miles to a full tank unless you're constantly doing short trips or are always driving in town, or there's a genuine problem with it.

• 10 years ago

The people who drive think they are being cool, when the truth is they are a bunch of posing losers. Both are models loosely based on the original car which fared quite well in the Euro Ncap tests ( head on,) but did not do so good on the side impact test. To date, there have not been any tests on these models so would you knowingly buy a new car which could be a potential death trap. Even if the road fund licence was free & I was offered free insurance for life I would never entertain one.

• 10 years ago

OK as "transport" but if you want a car that is fun to drive and handles half decent forget it as they are terrible. Just designed for people who want a hip car and don't care how bad it is.

Not a fan of them as all.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Look for the owners' club online. They will tell you the good and bad points of ownership. VERY little room in those cars, and they aren't very quick, at all.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.