Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Can i buy an AR-15 in Canada legally?

Just wondering because i'm thinking of buying one.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

An AR-15 is classified as restricted in Canada

Assuming it's not modified you can buy it in Canada if you have passed both your "non-restricted firearms" and your "restricted firearms" tests. You will also need a valid Possession and Acquisition License (PAL)

Since it is classified as restricted, you may only fire it legally in shooting ranges. It cannot be used for hunting or other purposes. You must also get an "authorization to transport permit" from the RCMP if you ever intend to remove it from your home to bring it to the firing range.

If your interested in taking the necessary courses and testing, you can find out more on-line. Many private companies provide the courses and administer tests.

http://www.firearmstraining.ca/licences.htm

is one of the largest resources for Canadian Firearms training.

• 1 decade ago

you sure can! you need a restricted firearms license, a PAL and about 2000 dollars. wolverine supplies sells a number of them for some really good prices ( 1100 to 2000 dollars) it is in Virden Manitoba. since you can only have a 5 round magazine in canada you might as well get an AR-10. they also sell those at wolverine supplies for similar prices, plus the AR-10 is in .308!

Source(s): www.wolverinesupplies.com/
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes, but it's a lot of work to get it, first you need a PAL card and then get it upgraded to a Restricted PAL card(since AR-15s are restricted firearms here in Canada), then it's the price tag and finding one, they usually sell for $1500-$3000 or more, they're also not that easy to find since the demand is low, so not many shops carry them and then you need a transport permit whenever you want to move it to a new location, every time!, too much work for a gun in my opinion, I'll keep my Remington model 788 thank you very much.

• sobba
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Wolverine Supplies Virden Manitoba

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Shelly
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

From the link below "Canadian residents cannot, under any circumstances, import prohibited firearms newly acquired outside Canada." Prohibited firearms include: * handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long; * handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32-calibre cartridge; * firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long; * automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and * firearms prohibited by regulations. Restricted firearms include: * most handguns; * semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited; * firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means; and * firearms restricted by regulations.

• 1 decade ago

yes you can but you need to obtain the restricted licence. and read and understand the restrictions of owning and transporting this class of firearm. firearms canada.com

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.