Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Who Is With Me On Size Does Not Matter In A Fight?

Me and a lot of people agree when they say size doesnt matter in a fight? Who believes that is true

Ok i notice people who say big people win r obviously not a very confident fighter i reccomend to look at Fedor Emelianenko vs Hong Man Choi that is just one example of size doesnt matter i am determined to prove to people size does not matter small guys hav just as many weaknesses as big guys just in different areas

Ok another example is size means nothing once on ground its whoever is more better then. If your gonna try and beat a big guy standing up especially much bigger u would hav to be very fast with ur strikes and get him in spots where is would hurt (not groin) but nose, temple, solar plexus, knee, spine, neck and ear. When you hit those spots no matter how big u r or how small u r it will hurt equally if thrown accurate, fast and powerful. A big guy advantage is reach, strength and mayb better chin (how much he can take) now ur advantages against him is faster strikes (usually), faster movement (agility), ground fighting and they say the bigger they are the harder they fall so it gonna hurt when u take them down. The second u get them off centre of gravity which isnt hard they will fall and hard i am not a big fan of the gracie family i much rather strking and grappling as a second option but they beat big guys all the time using their advangtage like i said small guy better ground game.

• jim c

that depends on the skills of the fighters in question, Period!.

Of course size matters. If it didn't you would not be even asking this question. Size makes up some huge ground with regards to comparison of skills and ability. And I offer you an example. When I started in martial arts I was 18, 6'1" and around 240 lbs. I was a country guy, very strong and physically capable. I was paired with much more experienced fighters. Those who had 2nd degree BB or higher or former special forces mostly. I loved this because it helped me develop skills very quickly and forced me to work very hard on speed because I got tired of being hit 5 times for my every one. So if you mean that in point-sparring size doesn't matter then I would agree and even say that it is a disadvantage. But if you are referring to something akin to self defense or even a more combat oriented sport like MMA then i would say that if that were actually true then there would not be such a thing as weight-classes.

But I think that your point might not actually be that "size doesn't matter" but that size doesn't have to matter. I would defiantly agree that a sufficiently trained (or armed) smaller fighter doesn't necessarily have any significant disadvantage when fighting a larger fighter. For instance someone skilled in pressure points is equally dangerous to most any human being, and to a limited degree someone (very) skilled in joint manipulation also would be able to overcome the disadvantage of being the smaller fighter.

Ok heres the deal bigger is not always better i will give you that.but with that said if you take two guys one weighing 185 and the other weighing 205 if they are matched evenley in there skills the bigger does not always win.now take the same 185 guy and put him up against someone weighing 240 same skill set the bigger will beat him 9 times out of 10 for sure. bigger is usaully stronger for the 4 punches the smaller man throws to end the fight the bigger man will only have to throw 1. and there for size does matter

Source(s): Speed and power .com

I don't. If you have two fighters of the same skill level the bigger usually ahs the advantage. Not only do they ahve a longer reach, but in general are probably stronger and can take more punishment.

hmm well put it this way

if a small guy fights a big guy & tries to use brute strength alone, he will lose.

there are too many variables in a fight to just say outright size doesn't matter (eg some guys get brought down wiht one punch, some guys can take bottles smashed over their head)

but the general rule is if you are lacking in a certain area that your opponent has, don't try to fight his game.

Source(s): silat practicioner

Intestinal fortitude matters.

I have seen a martial arts black belt take on a very husky man, the bb was kicking/ and striking

all of a sudden the husky dude grabbed him by the throat , lifted him off the ground and started punching him in the face....

The bottom line is: Who Are They?

Two pissed off people?

Two in experienced fighters?

Who is more pissed?

Generally speaking, size does matter.

I have used my size to my advantage on numerous occasions,

I have also, used my experience on numerous occasions,

I have also, been more pissed off and generally in the "right" of self defense.

So, generally speaking size does matter.

But the bottom line is Intestinal Fortitude, and who has it.

It depends on how good the fat fighter is. Don't be quick to assume that fat men cannot fight well. Look at the sumo fighters better still look at Sammo Hung who is a fat man but can perform almost the same things that jackie chan can.

I not agree of you, is over-generalization and is unrealistic wish have no basis of reality, overgeneralize is quite illogical, wishes not come true, that is childish fairy tale, small men want believe of this wrong idea, they not test it at real world however, beliefs are ideas people accept so true have no proof thus they are usually wrong, I am 5'-0", 95 lbs., Cousin Keiko is 5'-10", 220 lbs. lady wrestler, you say I beat her? I am faster and more skillful of Karate but her size give her many advantages, you think I beat her 6'-5", 270 lbs. brother Kenichi or her other brother 6'-1", 452 lbs. Kyojin who create his own new martial arts style, is powerlifter too? 250 lbs. man use golf club hit Kyojin hard at solar plexus, Kyojin just grin, use one hand lift man toss him at tree, no small person have chance against Kyojin the Giant, he is incredibly fast and strong, have superb coordination and balance, is quite skillful, is unrealistic believe small man beat such a giant.

Answer % of Speed Muscle equaling Power Muscle X Body Mass wins.

I am Martial Arts Person too

too much speed has No power

Too much Power has No speed

Must have Yin and Yang

Inner and outer Power

Then inner power multiplied

No Gain without Pain

workout 26 Hours per week

You will get Equality and inner power

Fighter planes are tiny by comparison with bombers. Though both are warplanes, more fighters brought down bombers in WW2 than vice-versa.

Also, it's not the large that eat the small; it's the fast that eat the slow! Check it out.