Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

How do newly-divorced people start to date again?

I am separated for a few months now, still have to get divorced. I am wondering how divorced people start to date again. The end of the marriage was traumatic (stbx-husband was a porn addict and pathological liar) and i seem to have lost touch with my friends since the marriage was taking up so much of my emotional energy. also i am 30 so i think it is hard to meet single men at this age. i feel a little wary of dating websites.

Favorite Answer

When I been lookin to get some I just mosey on down to the corner bar in my shortest coothie showin skirt.

First of all, wait until you are divorced...wait a good 6 months to a year after the divorce to date. You need to be emotionally stable. No man wants an emotional train-wreck. Work on you. Go out with your girlfriends and enjoy their company again. After a while, you will feel ready to date. Some dating websites are ok, others are just booty calls. Find a good one and get out there again - when you are ready.

I have always been told wait a year after the divorce. And the reason for that is for self-examination. In every divorce both people are responsible is never just one person's fault. I understand that he definitely had a problem and if I was a woman and he didn't get help I would leave him also. No matter what the reason is it's just a good idea to wait that year and sort you thought outs it does take a while. And I really wouldn't recommend online dating I think it's a worst idea I have ever seen and been a part of.

• Nicky

I'd suggest waiting on the dating. Reconnect with your family and friends, make the amends you need to make there. Make your situation with the people in your life more stable, regain your equilibrium before looking for someone new. Most people meet their future mates through friends and family, so repairing what you allowed to fall into disrepair could be beneficial in the long run. Good luck.

well, i am the same boat as you, i am 25. I tried to go on a date last night, and for me, I found it wasnt the right timing yet. Someone gave me good advice, love happens when you are least expecting it. I dont think you can go out looking for it and expect to find it right away. Take your time, and enjoy your single life for awhile, you must love yourself before you can love again. Bless you..and rememeber, you are not alone :)

Oh its easy, I was on my knee's within weeks of our divorce, felt great!

Men will flock to you especially when they find out you're single.

Here is some important info. Please, read this. ------Don't become romantically involved with anyone for at least a year. You need this year for introspection and personal growth.-----GL.