What could I call this type of document?

I'm writing a fantasy novel, in which the heroine is a wizard who's been seconded to one of her country's embassies. People working for the embassy have what I call "diplomatic privilege", where they're subject to the law of their own country, not the law of the country where the embassy is. This is like diplomatic immunity in the real world, and stops the local police from harassing diplomats when relations between the countries are going badly.

Diplomats carry a document that proves they're diplomats, and I now find I need a name for this. At first, I thought "warrant card," but a warrant authorises a person to do something, whereas this document exempts a person from doing certain things, or removes obligations he would otherwise have. As I was writing this question, I thought "privilege card," but that sounds like something from a supermarket loyalty scheme. I don't want a made-up word, because this is a concept that exists in the real world.

So - any ideas?

(Suggested categories: Computers & Internet > Software; Yahoo! Products > Yahoo! Mail > Attachments & Photos)

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

    How about 'diplomatic exemption', since they're exempt from local laws?

  • S.
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Hmm...the first thing that came to my mind is a passport, but maybe I read it wrong. Passports prove you belong to a certain country, indentify you, and give you permision to visit other countries. But you still have to follow the same laws of the countries you're visiting. I'm sure you've already considered this, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

    You might get more answers in the travel section, since you want a concept that is in the real world? Most people in B&A wouldn't know the answer to this off the top of their heads.

    Source(s): Four cruises and my horrible passport picture. :)
  • J
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    How about diplomacy manifest ,diplomatic exemption, royal exemption, or exemption card? Something notarized and stamped with the official crown and seal of both their host king (or whatever their ruler/ruling body is) and their nation of origin.

    Source(s): reader/writer/aspiring filmmaker
  • 1 decade ago

    You might try asking your question in the category: Education & Reference > Words & Wordplay. As to your question: why not 'Mystical Tryst', 'Exempt Status', 'Diplomatic Impunity'? I hope that helps.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I agree with SSF, "diplomatic exemption"

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.