My old laptop has Windows XP pro as its operating system. The laptop doesn't have much memory so I'm thinking?

of changing the the os for an Open Source system (Linux perhaps). OR, I could just remove Microsoft Office from the laptop and put Open Office which I use on other computers. I really only want to use the laptop as a radio as it has become very slow over the years. I've already added max memory and am... show more of changing the the os for an Open Source system (Linux perhaps). OR, I could just remove Microsoft Office from the laptop and put Open Office which I use on other computers. I really only want to use the laptop as a radio as it has become very slow over the years. I've already added max memory and am thinking that XP pro takes up too much space. Originally the laptop had Windows Millenium Edition. Maybe I could re-install ME? Or just forget Windows? Any thoughts on the best course of action here?
Update: No, it's not other data taking up space, I've already taken off everything else, photos, music, all other files. I know I can have M/s Office and Open Office, but M/s office takes up a lot of space.