Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

My old laptop has Windows XP pro as its operating system. The laptop doesn't have much memory so I'm thinking?

of changing the the os for an Open Source system (Linux perhaps). OR, I could just remove Microsoft Office from the laptop and put Open Office which I use on other computers. I really only want to use the laptop as a radio as it has become very slow over the years. I've already added max memory and am thinking that XP pro takes up too much space. Originally the laptop had Windows Millenium Edition. Maybe I could re-install ME? Or just forget Windows? Any thoughts on the best course of action here?

No, it's not other data taking up space, I've already taken off everything else, photos, music, all other files. I know I can have M/s Office and Open Office, but M/s office takes up a lot of space.

If you're happy to use Linux then why not? Most versions will use less resources than Windows XP, but not all - Ubuntu needs a similar amount of resources itself. However, it'd probably run faster anyway because it'd be a freshly installed operating system, computers always seem to like that. Alternatively there is a lot of software available to clean up your copy of XP and get it running better. A fresh installation of XP would probably speed it up a good bit too. Windows ME is very old now and a lot of software will not support it. You can install Open Office, you don't have to uninstall Microsoft Office to do that.

See it's not the OS that take lot's of space from the hard drive, it you data in various drives in form of songs, Pics, docs etc So changing the OS won't be a solution, just transfer the data from your old computer to new is the solution.,

cheers

Source(s): Http://fixforall.blogspot.com http://workasfreelancer.blogspot.com

Or even better if you know hopw to use torrents do a search for windows xp lite,i use it and its xp with all the added rubbish that you and i dont need taken out so its smaller to install and uses kless ram/memory to run,windows xp lite.