Is it okay to fight the common cold?

I haven't had one in a year or two. But I'm basically fighting it. I should be resting, but i still go walking and i'm not supposed to eat spicy foods, but so far the past three days i've been getting better. So I actually think its just fine to fight it. But should I?

sounds like you might be starting to fight an infection, which would need antibiotics if you were to see a doctor for it.

OR.... you can kick its butt first! :-)

take a sinus decongestant containing Phenylephrine 5mg. you don't necessarily need all the extras it's often mixed with.

but if you want some extras, here you go: Guaifenisen (Mucinex is the brand name, but it's way cheaper at dollar stores. always read ingredients!!) liquefies your mucus so it's much easier to expel. But you have to drink TONS of water or it won't work, and you must be near a bathroom because it makes you pee a lot.

Ibuprofen is an excellent anti-inflammatory, but it's strong, so alternate it with Acetaminophen as needed for pain, pressure, and headaches.

first your sinuses get inflamed, then you get post-nasal drip going down your throat and it aggravates your throat. it hurts to swallow because your glands swell when they have to help fight infections. it's a lousy feeling, i know!

ESSENTIALS:

stay home. (even one day can make a difference. plus, you'll keep your germs to yourself.)

sleep. (bolsters up your immune system)

drink plenty of water. (pee out those germs and flush 'em away!!)

take vitamin C, zinc, and echinacea. (also strengthen the immune system)

eat too much garlic. (sorry, but it really is great for your health! and it will give you a good reason to stay home. :) )

avoid milk and chocolate. dairy foods will thicken your mucus and make your fight that much harder.

the meds and garlic are harsh, so don't take them on an empty stomach. i hope you allow yourself some time to feel better soon! take care.

also i just learned a new tip from JOHN POPPER of BLUES TRAVELER: very hot water, cayenne pepper, white vinegar, and honey. GROSS!!! he gargles it and spits up all kinds of nasty crap. might be worth a shot, but don't hurt your vocals! to be safe maybe just do hot water with lemon and honey. that works too, and it's much more pleasant.

Source(s): i get sick but i'm uninsured so i do all this stuff myself.

Well I suppose it couldn't hurt but the only bad thing is, when you get the common cold by accident, it might be a little more severe because your immune system isn't used to the virus entering your body.

You should go walking to maintain an exercise routine but don't overdo it.