Atheists, even if someone proved the existence of a deity would that change your opinion on worshiping it?

I've heard some atheists say that they would worship a deity if any proof of one was offered, but I've heard it the other way around as well. Would a deity be worthy of your worship just because of its existence or is that not enough? Why or why not?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Best answer

a deity that is worth worshipping - sure. a kind benevolant deity that uses it's power for good not evil, for example.

eternal damnation for lacking faith sans evidence is certainly evil. nobody should worship that.

• 1 decade ago

It would depend on the deity. I can't imagine that any deity that would be worth worshiping would care whether or not anyone worshiped it. So no, probably not.

• 1 decade ago

That would depend, entirely on what sort of deity was proved to exist. Right now, I can't really imagine a real deity that would have the slightest interest in my worship.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not an atheists, I don't like labels. However I don't believe in anything like that and no I wouldn't worship anything even if there was proof. Why? Because I don't worship things, that is like a cult. I live with out ties to any sort of thing like that. I just wouldn't do that.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No. I don't think any deity that cares about my worship is worthy of worshiping.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's a very hypothetical question. I suppose it would depend on the nature of the deity.

If you were a deity and you created intelligent, self-aware beings with free-will would you demand that they form up in columns & rows every week and sing hymns to your glory? Would you expect them to love you more than they love each other even though they've never seen you? Would you threaten to punish them for not doing so? Would you torture their immortal souls for not guessing which of the many religious books is the right one? Why or why not?

• 1 decade ago

If they weren't so demanding and cruel as the deities currently worshiped I would consider it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Any deity that would demand worship is unworthy of worship.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends on which deity you're talking about.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

How do you know it wants to be worshiped?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.