Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians, are there any exceptions to "judge not lest ye be judged" in your opinion?

Like "oh, that's not judgment, that's being morally discerning" or something like that?

This is an issue that has confused many people. On one hand, we are commanded by the Lord Jesus, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged” (Matthew 7:1). On the other hand, the Bible also exhorts us to beware of evildoers and false prophets and to avoid those who practice all kinds of evil. How are we to discern who these people are if we do not make some kind of judgment about them?

Christians are often accused of "judging" whenever they speak out against a sinful activity. However, that is not the meaning of the Scripture verses that state, "Do not judge." There is a righteous kind of judgment we are supposed to exercise—with careful discernment (John 7:24). When Jesus told us not to judge (Matthew 7:1), He was telling us not to judge hypocritically. Matthew 7:2-5 declares, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." What Jesus was condemning here was hypocritical, self-righteous judgments of others.

In Matthew 7:2-5, Jesus warns against judging someone else for his sin when you yourself are sinning even worse. That is the kind of judging Jesus commanded us not to do. If a believer sees another believer sinning, it is his Christian duty to lovingly and respectfully confront the person with his sin (Matthew 18:15-17). This is not judging, but rather pointing out the truth in hope—and with the ultimate goal—of bringing repentance in the other person (James 5:20) and restoration to the fellowship. We are to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). We are to proclaim what God's Word says about sin. 2 Timothy 4:2 instructs us, "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction." We are to "judge" sin, but always with the goal of presenting the solution for sin and its consequences—the Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

It means I should try my best to understand; because I can judge nothing I do not understand. Sometimes I do this well and it is a triumph for both of us. Sometimes I do this well and it is something I wish I did not see. Sometimes I do this poorly and it is a funny 'truth'. Sometimes I do this poorly and make an @ss of myself. But I am always willing to consider an appeal. It is the same process I subject myself to - and try to judge the judgment passed on me as well. Going to heaven or hell does not rest within my judgment no matter what I decide about anything for others - I am not even certain that it matters how I judge myself. That is God's decision. MY judgments I question - I trust God's judgments.

• KAL

I can already hear the boos, but it really is an issue of context. I don't believe there are any exceptions to the command not to judge others...and I believe that we were also commanded to judge the preaching/doctrine of others who claim to be representing Christ. I think the line, while often blurred by believers, is quite clear...that we have no right to specify what consequences another person should suffer for their own sins...doing so invites judgment for our own sins...but we do have the obligation to judge what we hear about the message of Christ. It is our responsibility to guard against deception...not to suggest or carry out some form of punishment or condemnation of the deceiver, but to evaluate EVERYTHING we hear relative to the words of Christ and to identify and acknowledge anything that is inconsistent with those words.

In short, it is one thing to say that another person is "wrong"...it is quite another to say that they should or will "burn in hell" as a result.

• Greg

It might be better said "Condemn not, lest ye be condemned." We have to judge, there is no way around it. Christ taught people to judge, which is "moral discernment," he did not teach people to condemn.

All the verses that deal with "not judging" are actually dealing with "not condemning." The adulteress brought to Jesus was, technically, an adulteress. That was a correct judgment because she was caught in the act of adultery. What they wanted was Jesus to condemn her for adultery, or to give the "ok" for them to condemn her, by stoning.

The original phrase is "judge not lest ye be judged IN LIKE MANNER" (the caps are mine for emphasis).

So it's not an exception, but if you can be judged in the same way, then feel free to go for it.

There aren't any exceptions to any laws given by Christ. Jesus said it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one fraction of the law to pass away. However I will say, there are misinterpretations of this bible verse. Many people say that Christians are judging when they are only professing what the bible says. It's the manner in which things are said, not what is said that I think people have the most problems with. We are to speak the law without passing judgment or condemnation (that is not the job of Christians but of Christ)...Christians are to love and through love spread the truth of Christ (which is his gospel and his laws).

Source(s): my experience

Not really, but there is a way to get around it anyhow. When someone tries to use this verse to suggest that you're being judgmental, you just tell them "I'm only telling you what the Bible says. You're already judged, brother."

Source(s): Heard that line already.

Judge not means to not harshly judge, because you do not have all of the information, we also may not be able to percieve things correctly.

There is also a fine line between thinking badly of someone, (especially one you do not know well) and protecting yourself from any forseeable harm that may arise from being close to a particular person. In fact, sometimes a "heathen" is a safer/nicer to be around than someone who is "saved"... in my experience, anyhow.

Source(s): My life (I am Catholic/Christian).
  • Frank

Seeing that someone is blatantly sinning is not judgeing them. It is simply seeing what goes on before our very eyes. It doesn't even need spiritual discernment. Even those with no specific beliefs can see what goes on. The only difference is that some will call it sin whilst others will not.

Christians find exceptions to Christ's teachings all the time so they can engage in judgment, bigotry, tax evasion.... It's too much of a personal sacrifice to emulate Christ regardless of what he went through for them.