Should I get rid of my two year old hamster?

My mom and dad are worried that he has or will contract a disease that would mutate and infect us, so it will have no cure. Jumpy(that's his name) was born in February 2008 so its almost 2 years. He has a weird growth on his back that used to be big but got better and he also had a weird growth around his eye.... show more My mom and dad are worried that he has or will contract a disease that would mutate and infect us, so it will have no cure. Jumpy(that's his name) was born in February 2008 so its almost 2 years. He has a weird growth on his back that used to be big but got better and he also had a weird growth around his eye. The eye growth made things white stuff ooze out of his eye and made his eye really swollen so he couldn't see. His eye isn't swollen anymore but it still has white stuff. He's still energetic and doesn't look sick but my parents heard from a radio station that pets are less resistant against diseases and will contract them more often which they will then pass on to us. They want to get rid of him and no one would want a nearly 2yr old hamster so...
I still think he's awesome.
7 answers 7