Changing from Windows Millenium to Linux?

I work on the older system as I can't afford a newer one. I'm actually surprised I never got a cold from all the freezing going on. Yesterday has decided it - it froze 5 times during 10 minutes with need of restart by resetting. I've heard Linux is much more stable and it's free as well. All I... show more I work on the older system as I can't afford a newer one. I'm actually surprised I never got a cold from all the freezing going on. Yesterday has decided it - it froze 5 times during 10 minutes with need of restart by resetting.

I've heard Linux is much more stable and it's free as well.
All I work on my PC with is the gimp, which I think has versions for Linux, some video/music player, text editor and the internet. I rarely play any games (like once a year I get attracted to something, but I drop it in a week).

So the question is - where to go, what to get and what to do with it.

Also if you have any points you think I missed or may have underestimated, please tell me. Thank you.
Update: Just... John K, the computer hardware is not that old. We have 4 PC at home and mine is simply the last in the line of updates - whenever my grandfather buys something, the older stuff moves around. However, I managed to get a relatively new hard-disc, processor and extra RAM recently as there was a major problem... show more Just... John K, the computer hardware is not that old. We have 4 PC at home and mine is simply the last in the line of updates - whenever my grandfather buys something, the older stuff moves around. However, I managed to get a relatively new hard-disc, processor and extra RAM recently as there was a major problem with the older things. So all that bothers me is the system. I moved from 98 just last year.
Update 2: And ussualy new hardware is bought more often than OS, they are much less of them ;-)