? asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Graphics card question?

My dad is buying a computer 4 my birthday and he says it really good because it has

6gb ram

gtx 295

intel core 2 duo

850w power supply

and a 1tb hard drive

But what does that mean and is it a good computer or his he lying plz tell me

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Drkzin
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

That computer is pretty powerful. It has the most powerful gaming graphics card or known as video card (Nvidia Geforce GTX295) on the planet! 6GB RAM whether its DDR2 or DDR3 is A LOT! The processor (Intel core 2 duo) is not so good. I'd give it a 3 star because it has only 2 cores and the speed would probably range from 1.8ghz to 3ghz. When you find out the speed of the processor, you double that speed because your computer has 2 cores so you multiply the speed by 2. The PSU (Power Supply Unit) is big and provides way enough power for your whole system. The 1TB Hard Drive is heaps of space for you. You could fit heaps of stuff like heaps of games, pictures, music, etc. Looking at these specs and the power supply, for sure this is a desktop computer and not a laptop.

Since your kind of new to computing, i will explain the parts to you.

CPU: The CPU (Central Processing Unit) or known as processor is the brain of the computer. It processes everything in your computer, like when you open a application, the processor does it. The faster the processor, the faster things will go. But everything is not dependent on the processor, it matters about the other specifications too. CPU speeds are measured in Ghz (Gigahertz) and sometimes in Mhz (Megahertz). Mhz is the lower measurement for Ghz but they are the same thing. 1000mhz = 1ghz. Many CPUs have caches, these are really intelligent chips that are built-in with the CPU. What it does is it predicts what the CPU may need next, so it moves the data from the RAM to the Cache. The bigger the cache size, the better. Usually, CPU caches guess the data right 90% the time. CPU caches range from 512kb to 12MB and there are various cache types like L2 and L3.

RAM: RAM stands for Random Access Memory and is like temporary memory for things that are already open. Applications and things you have open are temporarily stored in the RAM. If you have sufficient RAM, there is no lag or delay. Having more RAM or sufficient RAM to fit your needs is essential to a good computer. Technically speaking, 2GB+ RAM is far enough for computing. The CPU also gathers data from the RAM as well. Also, when you download a file, and it gives you a option of opening or saving, if you choose open, then the file will eventually go to the RAM and not save to your hard drive. Your hard drive is permanent data storage.

Video Card: Video card or known as Graphics card is what controls all the imaging, graphics related things that happen on your computer. It also outputs the image onto the monitor. A computer can still work without a video card. Instead it will use the built-in video with the motherboard which is very poor performance. Games are very reliant on the video card as the faster the video card the higher performance you get. The Video Card matters more when it comes to gaming as CPU and the built-in video can not handle games so well. If the video card is powerful, then it may have 6-pin or 8-pin power sockets on them. Thats why its crucial to check the specifications on how many watts PSU you need and what connectors you need. If you forget to plug one of these PCI-E 6-pin or 8-pin connector, then your video card will not power up. Also, video cards come with their own video output ports which on the back of a computer case, you can plug in your monitor.

Motherboard: The motherboard says it all. Its a board that is the main thing in the computer case. Everything is plugged into it. The CPU, RAM, Video Card, Sound Card, PSU (Power Supply Unit) Hard drives, DVD Drives anything else is all plugged into the Motherboard. Motherboards have different sockets and you must have the correct sockets when you are building a computer and all the parts must be compatible with your motherboard. These sockets on your motherboard are: CPU sockets(e.g. LGA775, LGA1156, LGA1366,AM2,AM3 etc), RAM sockets (e.g. DDR2 or DDR3 etc), PCI slots, PCI-E x16 slots, SATA ports, IDE etc. PCI-E x16 is the slot that graphics cards go into. There are various CPU sockets so get it right if your going to buy a CPU for your motherboard. Different RAM types such as DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are all different sizes and don't fit if put in the incorrect socket. For e.g. DDR2 can not fit in DDR slots or DDR3 slots. Also, the back panel of your computer case is actually the motherboard itself. The motherboard has connectors at the back which when they build it, the back panel sticks out and you have the ports like PS2 mouse and keyboard ports, USB ports, ethernet port (RJ-45), etc.

HDD (Hard Drive Disk): The Hard Drive is the permanent storage for your computer. They can come in different types like, SSD (Solid State Drive), normal hard drives or RAID types. The bigger the size of your HDD, the more you can store in it.

DVD/CD drive: This is where DVDs and CDs go into. There are various types of disks and to see if your drive is compatible to do these things. The various types include: CD-R, CD+R, CD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL (Dual Layer), Blu Ray and more. The latest type is Blu Ray and it is different from DVDs and CD disks. To read and use Blu-Ray disks, you need a Blu-Ray drive and please be reminded that Blu-Ray drives can also read DVDs and CDs as well. Blu-Ray disks are simply disks with extremely high capacity. They usually come in 25GB or 50GB which is extremely big compared to DVDs and CDs.

Power Supply Unit: The PSU converts AC power to DC power. All it does is it powers every part in the computer case like the CPU, motherboard, HDD, DVD drive, RAM, video card etc. If you have a low watt PSU, your computer may not start because there is not enough power to power up your computer. There are various power connectors that are essential to your computer and that come with the PSU. PSUs have SATA power cables, Floppy power cable, 12v 4-pin power cables, 20+4 pin main motherboard power connector, 4-pin peripheral conectors, 6-pin PCI-e power connector, 8-pin power connectors. Recent power supply units (2006/07) onwards feature PCI-E 6-pin or 8-pin power connectors. These are power cables are connected to video cards to give sufficient power to the video cards. Some low-performance video cards don't need this. But your GTX295 needs a 6-pin and 8-pin PCI-E power connector. In some PSUs, they don't come with a 8-pin PCI-E power connector. Some just come with a 6-pin so you have to make sure you got enough power connectors for everything.

Case: The Case or known as Chassis is what houses all the computer parts. It also has buttons and USB ports on the front case which have cables that must be connected to the motherboard in order to work.

Monitor: The monitor is a screen which connectors to your video card's video slot either VGA, DVI or HDMI (if you don't have a video card, it will connect to your motherboard and will be controlled by the built-in video that comes with the motherboard).

Mouse and Keyboard: Obviously you should know what these are. They can connect through USB ports and can be wireless as well or connect to a PS2 connector whether it be a PS2 mouse or PS2 keyboard.

Speakers: This is what you get sound out of. Your speakers may also come with a subwoofer.

Sound Card: A Sound Card is not necessary because the built-in ones are very high quality and are good enough. If you are planning to do 5.1 channel surround sound or 8.2 then if your motherboard doesn't have the capabilities, then you may have to purchase a sound card. Built-in sound with the motherboard are still high quality so usually there is no need to buy a sound card unless you want to do 5.1 channel or 8.2 or get very good stereo mix, or sound recording/sound output.

I think thats all the parts explained. Overall, your computer specs are good and the dual-core is probably a good decision since some games only support 2 cores. If you have a multi-core supported software, then thats better to use. But nower days most games support multi-core. FYI, Dual Cores each have higher speeds per core meaning when it comes to games that support only 2 cores, the dual core performs better. Also, if you add up the speed of all the cores in a quad-core you will get a higher speed than dual cores. Although the speed per core is lower but you will get a extremely good boost in performance if you are using a program that supports multi-cores. Please do not get confused by dual-core and don't say that you wrote "Intel Core 2 Duo" incorrect. I mean that Duo is the correct name and its not Dual Core. That name Intel Core 2 Duo is just a CPU name. I know its a dual core because i'm a Extremely High Knowledge Computer Hardware Tech Guy.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please email me via. my profile. Thanks rate best answer for me will ya?

• 1 decade ago

Dude, seriously go give your Dad a big hug that machine is awesome! Judging by the 6GB of RAM I'd say this machine is a Intel Core i7 not a Core 2 Duo which is even better still!!!

Source(s): Computer Technician 4 years experience
  • 1 decade ago

Smmmmmokin'

But then it could have Windows ME loaded on it and it would be a piece o' junk.../jk

As long as it has XP or, better, Win7 you are golden.

one additional item is recommended.... Get an external USB drive and be sure to make an occasional backup. (who am I kidding, no non-tech backs up!) anyways without reconfiguring the drive (into drives) by a good tech friend, getting an external backup drive is a good idea. 1 Terabyte!? wow, just amazes me. Just HUGE amounts of space. Unless you are ripping a lot of music and video, it'll die before you fill it up.

Source(s): 30 years of this.
  • 1 decade ago

um yea you will not have to get another computer for a long time.. it will last you thru college at least...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Awesome computer!

Should be able to do everything.

• 1 decade ago

Eh, nothing much... it kinda sucks really... Here, I'll trade you for my laptop. :3

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.