Why do people recommend eating scrambled egg WHITES instead of normal scrambled eggs?

Random question but when people are giving healthy eating advice they always say scrambled egg WHITES. What's wrong with the yolk? Is it less healthy?

• Lori S

Because people have been misinformed by the popular media. It is true that egg yolks are high in fat and cholesterol, but they are also high in nutrients. Here is an actual quote from the American Egg Board: "Eggs are a naturally nutrient-dense food, which means they have a high proportion of nutrients to calories. One large egg has only 75 calories and provides 13 essential nutrients in varying amounts. Eggs are an excellent source of choline and a good source of the highest quality protein and riboflavin. Many of the egg’s incredible nutrients are found in the egg yolk, including choline, folate, lutein, zeaxanthin and vitamin D. The yolk also includes healthy monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats and almost half of the high-quality protein found in eggs." In other words whole eggs are the perfect food source so you should eat the yolk and the white.

Your body makes cholesterol naturally and it is only in a small amount of people that the body gets too much cholesterol from food sources. Besides, the myth that cholesterol causes heart disease is beginning to gain momentum as it is well known that the culprit is not cholesterol levels so much as homocysteine. Too low of cholesterol will actually cause death. Do your own research and you will find this is true. Eat your eggs and be happy as they are so good for you!

And yes, I know, I am giving you info that is not part of the government's mantra or the mainstream media's hype, but I am giving you info that is well researched and documented.

In the 1980's there was a sensationalized campaign that vilified eggs as evil. I kept eating them. Then it was found later on that they were not evil, but good for you. Then there was the alar scare and many people stopped buying apples, but I bought them. Do your own research, don't listen to the "experts" who are always changing their mind about what is healthy and what is not, and make up your own mind based on good research.

Truly healthy eating advice would be eat a balanced diet, all things in moderation. That would include whole eggs if you want. The yolk has a lot of fat. So what? Balance the contribution of the protein from the white, the carbohydrates from my toast that I eat with my eggs and the fiber from the fruit I like to have at breakfast and those whole eggs are pretty healthy.

Egg whites are an excellent source of protein. Yolks are high in cholesterol.

• Diena

people recommend eating scrambled egg whites normal scrambled eggs

the yolk is chock-full of cholesterol and contains all of the fat, but they're very healthy, contrary to popular belief. egg whites are a good source of protein if you don't want all the fat in the yolk, but both are fine. my grandpa ate eggs almost everyday and he was very healthy.

Cholesterol. There are studies (er, newspaper reports of studies) supporting both sides of the issue, so it's hard for a layman to know whom to believe, but one popular theory is that the cholesterol in egg yolks contributes to heart disease and arterial blockage.

• Kelly

Depending on what Ranch dressing you use, the dressing might be loaded with fat or sugar. As others have said, the egg yolks are loaded with cholesterol. And to the extent that you eat hard boiled eggs, you are not eating other things that are healthy too.

egg whites are all protien. egg yolks are nothing but fat and cholsteral.

THE YOLKS HAVE CHOLESTERAL IN THEM, AND THE WHITES DO NOT.

CHOLESTERAL IS A CONTRIBUTOR TO HEART DISEASE IF EATEN BY SOME IN EXCESS.

HEREDITY, AND EXCERISE LEVELS WILL ALSO AFFECT HOW DANGEROUS IT IS TO YOU.

egg whites are better for you

but in my opinion, the healthiest route is to not eat eggs at all

it only gives you protein

everything else makes it crap