? asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Do you think a small person no matter how skillful he is, still has trouble fighting a guy many times his size?

Let's assume a Wing Chun master like Leung Ting (5 ft 8) fighting the average MMA or UFC fighter (6 ft 5 guy). So, my question is although skills in the martial arts can compensate for size and power disadvantages, there are still limitations as to what one can do in a fight.

I do agree that size does matter a whole lot...I think it mostly depends on how skilled the big guy is. Of course if you put a wing chun master against a big retarded redneck that has no skill, your martial arts guy will win maybe 8 out of 10 times. But if that big guy knows how to fight well, your martial arts guy has to overcome a whole lot to even have a chance.....for example Ive been in fights with guys that are much smaller than I am (Im 6'2", 260lbs.). I remember getting punched by a 150lb. guy and not even feeling it. As a big guy, I can charge through the punches of a 150lb. guy. And that in itself is where the smaler guy is screwed.....and unless you are a MASTER at any martial art, there is no training or counter move in ANY belt level martial art that prepares you for someone charging through your punch like it doesnt even phase him, and mauling you like a grizzly bear.

The "average" MMA fighter can be in any weight class, and even most of the heavyweights aren't 6'5". Leung Ting would have problems with an MMA fighter his size, because he's old, doesn't train full-contact, and has no grappling skills.

But to your original question, most guys will never face people "many times" their size. If I'm 150lbs, even a guy twice my size is going to be a rare 300lbs person. So "many times" my size... let's say four times... would give me a 600lbs person. Unless we're talking about a sumo wrestler, we're probably talking about someone who can't move out of their bed. I'm not exactly afraid of that.

BUT... size is one of several variables in a fight. When skill levels are equal, or nearly so, other factors such as size and strength come into play more readily. A size difference of 20lbs is negligible if I'm a much better fighter than my opponent; a size difference of 5lbs becomes a HUGE factor if we're at near-equal skill level.

It's assumed that the bigger fighter has the knowledge seeing that folks customarily would not have extra know-how than what they are able to see with their possess eyes. If you notice 2 random men in a bar getting competent to combat and a million is five'eight one hundred forty five lbs and the opposite is 6'four 250 lbs, who could you expect could win? They have no idea if the smaller man is good proficient in hand at hand battle - if all else is identical, dimension does constitute a massive knowledge.

Well I can tell you from experience. I'm 5' so obviously every one I have been in a fight with has been much taller than me, but since I grew up with three brothers and pretty much had to be good at fighting I have never lost. The only disadvantage is that shorter people obviously have a shorter arm reach so someone can stand to far away for you to hit them while they can still hit you. But to get out of this you just have to be good at charging people. So anyways if a short person is far better at fighting than a tall person then they can win but if they are only a little better at fighting then they will most likely lose. Also it is easier for a tall person to get on top so the smaller person generally needs to have really strong legs to keep balance. Also smaller people are usually faster and don't get tired out as fast as bigger people.

here's an amazing video of Garcie fighting someone three times his size

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuQP0hO6s4

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): my life

when everything between the 2 fighters is equal except size and weight

then the bigger guy wins

but this isn't possible.

you've seen one punch knockouts

also the myth/history of wing chun is a woman didnt want to marry a king so challenged him to a fight.

using her system she capatalised on his mistakes and kept pummeling away.

so size does matter but when 2 experienced fighters step into the ring it doesn't mean life or death it just sways the variables more.

Basic physics tells us that if you're big, then you won't be as agile as someone who practices being agile and is smaller than you. Also, being a hulking meat head (no offense to hulking meat heads) means that, yeah, you can punch hard, but being a smaller, trained person means you can punch fast. For instance, let's use an analogy. Claymore v Katana. The wielder of the claymore could inflict massive amount of damage if s/he hits, but if s/he misses, then it'll take him/her a while to build up enough momentum to swing again (a while being a couple seconds). However, the katana wielder will be able to jab and cut many more times and each of them will be just as fatal.

i tap white belts with ease that are heavy weights. im about 5 ft 7 160 pounds. its all about your technique. but a larger fighter who has the same skills as you will usually win.

Source(s): ufc 1-4 royce gracie

Of course.

Size is a huge factor as far as strength, so size does matter.

A big skilled person usually wins against a small skilled person.

Source(s): my brain ;)

i disagree. size has noting to do with it. it's about who's better. because we're all humans, we make mistakes, and if your good enough to see the mistake, capitalize on it, and do it quick enough, then you win. while a smaller opponent WILL have trouble fighting a larger opponent, it depends on if the bigger guy leaves his openings available to be taken advantage of...which they usually will

Yeah.. I am a jiu-jitsu fighter and I tap everyone in my gym even my sensei who has a 50 pound advantage, on me. It's all skill and technique.

Source(s): Blue Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu