Does Amitriptyline help with insomnia ?

I have been suffering with insomnia for sometime now, my Dr has prescribed Amitriptyline which i have been taking for a week, this has had absolutley no effect whatsoever on me, i was given 28 25mg tablets and told to take 1 each night, i admit i have resorted to taking 2 of these but still it does nothing at all !!1 Has anyone else been prescribed this medicine for insomnia ? And if so has it worked for you, because it certainly is not working for me.

Hi Justin,

You could try a more natural method.

You should try Deep Relax Bath & Shower Oil!

For those who want to have a restful, worry free night. Let the aromatic oils of natures most calming plants and flowers send you off on a good nights sleep. Perfect if you're feeling overtired and exhausted or longing for a night of unbroken sleep, this natural sleep inducer includes the rich earthy oils of Vetivert, Camomile and Sandalwood. Comforting, grounding and strengthening it will give you a deep sense of peace and tranquillity.

I love this! If you use the discount code 'sm20' on the website http://www.trustwilliam.com/Aromatherapy-Bath-Show... you'll get a 20% discount and free delivery'.

I hope this helps!!!

http://www.trustwilliam.com/Aromatherapy-Bath-Show...

http

I took Amitriptyline for 2 years, it does help with insomnia but does make you tired the next day, it is none addictive but tolerance does develop after a few months of treatment. If you have severe anxiety you can get tablets that contain amitriptyline and perphenazine, these will work for anxiety, depression and insomnia. I have been on Chlorpromazine for 4 years, some of it converts to Hydroxychlorpromazine which helps with sleep and anxiety.

As others have already said, it does take a few weeks to have an effect. I'm on 200mg a night for depression, and it completely knocks me out! I'm not sure as low a dose as 25mg would have much of an effect, but then Amitriptyline is prescribed to treat a number of things; muscle complaints, back pains and migraines, to name a few! The dose is different dependant on the condition, and the amount needed for effect can differ from person to person. To be honest, if you do find that the 25 mg don't work over the next couple of weeks then I would be very hesitant about accepting a higher dose and highly recommend talking to your doctor about other medication. Amitriptyline is notorious for being difficult to come off- I was originally on 100mg a day and managed to come off it for 2 months, only to end up needing to go back on it at 200mg! Hope you find something that works for you!

Source(s): Personal experience

What is the most important information I should know about amitriptyline?

You should not use this medicine if you have recently had a heart attack.

Do not use amitriptyline if you have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days, such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, or tranylcypromine.

Some young people have thoughts about suicide when first taking an antidepressant. Stay alert to changes in your mood or symptoms. Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor.

Incredible Online Mall >>===> http://amitriptyline1.4gw.pw/5l43t

it normally takes up to 2-3 wks for amitriptyline to work i.e get in to the system. these are the old type of anti-depressants (trycyclics). personally i wouldn't use these as an aid for sleeping. if you aren't happy on these tablets go back to your GP or see another.

Source(s): nurse

Amitriptylline is an antidepressant, one of it's side effects is that it is somewhat sedating, but normally it takes 100mg to get that effect. I would suggest you doctor needs to review his PDR before prescribing mental health drugs.

Source(s): RN