Parent who bring their kids to church, what would you have done?

My little brother (14) was woken for church to at both 8:45 and 9:00 to leave at 9:15. If he had gotten up when he was woken the first time he would have have plenty of time to get ready (mass was at 9:30 with a 12 minute drive), he did not get in the shower until 9:20. I decided to leave without him, for two... show more My little brother (14) was woken for church to at both 8:45 and 9:00 to leave at 9:15. If he had gotten up when he was woken the first time he would have have plenty of time to get ready (mass was at 9:30 with a 12 minute drive), he did not get in the shower until 9:20. I decided to leave without him, for two reasons: 1. Why should I be late because he can't get up an moving and 2. It will teach him to get up when he is woken, instead of teaching him that people will just wait around for him. I called him and told him I had left without him and I would be home in an hour to take him to a later mass. My parents were mad at me for doing this, but my brother makes me late for everything whenever I take him anywhere (boy scouts, sports, out with friends, everywhere). My parents went to mass at 8 (let him sleep in), so since they weren't with us and he has no respect for me (I'm almost 21) he doesn't care to get ready on time, because he doesn't mind going places late. As long as he gets there at some point, he's satisfied. I do not like going to church late, and try to be on time where ever I am going whenever possible. It is distracting and rude to other to walk in late.
What would you do if your child is constantly making you late (or keeping you waiting if you are just giving them a ride) because they won't get out of bed or won't get ready?
Was I right by leaving, or should I have went late and waited for him?
Update: Jo there are many reason he attends mass 1. He chooses to be Catholic and wants to be. 2. Since he is a catholic (as in other denominations), it is his parents and relative moral responsibility to see to it that he attends mass and learn about his faith, until he chooses to or not to make his confirmation, which... show more Jo there are many reason he attends mass
1. He chooses to be Catholic and wants to be.
2. Since he is a catholic (as in other denominations), it is his parents and relative moral responsibility to see to it that he attends mass and learn about his faith, until he chooses to or not to make his confirmation, which he is willingly doing on his own now (a.k.a HE is choosing to make his confirmation).
3. It is a mortal sin (a.k.a one you can go to hell for if you do not confess to God and are truly sorry for)
4. Choosing to be part of a religion should be the same as choosing to be part of a sport or club. With a sport or club, you attend every game, practice or meeting, why should he be able to pick and choose which Sundays he wants to get his butt out of bed in time for church. It is a matter of laziness not him not wanting to go to church.

He also chooses to wake up on days off from school/summer break and go to daily masses with me---so again he clearly does want to attend church
Update 2: Emmaus--He definitely stays up wayyy to late, and being the youngest of six, with 4 over 18 and choosing their own bedtime,etc.- my parents let him go to bed when he wants. He has a TV and computer in his room, which I did not have a TV until I was 15, and no cable in my room until almost 16. I had a computer... show more Emmaus--He definitely stays up wayyy to late, and being the youngest of six, with 4 over 18 and choosing their own bedtime,etc.- my parents let him go to bed when he wants.
He has a TV and computer in his room, which I did not have a TV until I was 15, and no cable in my room until almost 16. I had a computer in my room at 14, but I bought it and couldn't use it at night b/c my 10 year old sister shared a room with me until I was 15, and I had a bedtime on school nights. I have been telling my parents for at least 4 years that having a TV/computer in his room and no bed time is why he is so lazy in the morning. It's really pathetic that I am more concerned about how he is parented than they are. He is a good kid, but that doesn't mean he can't have a bedtime and electronics time limit. They keep saying they are moving the computer into the extra bedroom, but only because him and my sister fight over who gets to use it (he thinks his room his rules).
Update 3: Lives7- we usually go as a family, but it didn't work out this weekend. It should be a family thing, but there are also conflicts that arise, and as long as they don't eliminate church from the schedule I feel it is ok to accommodate- with a family of 8, I think it is understandable to have weekend or two... show more Lives7- we usually go as a family, but it didn't work out this weekend. It should be a family thing, but there are also conflicts that arise, and as long as they don't eliminate church from the schedule I feel it is ok to accommodate- with a family of 8, I think it is understandable to have weekend or two where we go separately.
Update 4: Higgs, how can a 14 year old not be old enough to understand what church is about. If child is taught from a young age about God and church, then they will understand. Is he also not old enough to understand what school is about, should he not be sent to school? There are 3 year olds who understand, love, and... show more Higgs, how can a 14 year old not be old enough to understand what church is about. If child is taught from a young age about God and church, then they will understand. Is he also not old enough to understand what school is about, should he not be sent to school? There are 3 year olds who understand, love, and want to know God, so he's old enough.
Update 5: How am I too young to understand what church is about??? I've been doing the whole church thing for almost 21 years, and not simple because I was forced or it is what good Christians should do, etc. I don't go just go, and who are you to judge whether I am old enough or not.