Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

So you think that its just a matter of time before creationist accept evoultion?

I asked a question about mirco.marco evoulition and this response was quite intersting

"They don't seem to understand that making that statement is a stupid as saying "I believe in the 400m but not the marathon".

It's the same basic mechanism on a much grander scale.

What it boils down to is they denied ALL evolution until the evidence for microevolution got to be too overpowering, then they admitted "Well, of COURSE microevolution occurs, it says so in the bible (and warp a passage to fit their aims) but that still doesn't explain MACRO-evolution""

Christains use to thing that the world was flat yet today very few people still belive it is flat.

Do you think its is just a matter of time before they accept evoultion

@Jeanie

But out of the billions of planets out there is it very likely that at least one of them would support life.

It's already gradually decreasing. As the younger people who where brought up with creationism are going out in the world, once they get a little education, they realize it does not make much sense.

I think you're wrong on several counts.

I don't know that anyone has ever denied adaptation. It's apparent even in our own lives. Calling it "micro-evolution" is just a gamut to build support for Darwinian evolution among those who lack understanding.

Second, I don''t think anyone has attempted to "warp" a passage of the Bible to confirm or deny adaptation exists. Can you please provide an example? This sounds suspiciously like your own anecdotal evidence which, for a scientist, should be pretty taboo.

Third, you claim that Christians used to think the world was flat, but you've ignored the fact that Egyptians, Babylonians, Baal Worshipers, and others also believe this to be the case. The whole population of the earth once believed the earth was flat; calling out Christians on this only seems very biased.

Which merits another mention: you've gone from "Creationists" in your initial question to "Christians" in your follow-up information. Clearly you have a beef with Christ-followers only, or you'd mention Muslims, Jews, and other Creationists as well.

To answer your incredibly biased question, I'll certainly believe in Darwinian evolution if and when the difficulties in the theory can be worked out. It's one thing to say that macro-evolution and micro-evolution are the same thing on a different scale, but it's another thing entirely to prove this assertion. There also needs to be a way to demonstrate that abiogenesis is a viable, sensible, possible process; so far controlled laboratory experiments all fail to do this. There also needs to be a cohesive way to explain the enormous gaps in the fossil record and the sudden emergence of wholly developed body types; current claims of "punctuated development" are a possible answer, but there is almost zero evidence to support this claim.

In short, I'm a firm believer that all truth is God's truth. I'll believe in the theory of Darwinian evolution when it's demonstrably true. I get edgy when anybody says "We can't show you that," or "We can't make that happen in the lab yet," or "We think it happened this way," and then follows it up with "but trust us." The majority of those who promote Darwinian evolution are beholden to the theory; they have no other alternatives.

-----

I admit, my frustration with my fellow Christians is over the Big Bang theory. I am always surprised when a Christian rejects Big Bang cosmology.

Big Bang is good science. Unlike Darwinian evolution, Big Bang is scientifically sound from top to bottom. Big Bang is the most-tested, best proven science there is.

And it's also good theology. The Bible literally screams Big Bang. When science said the Universe was static and eternal, the Bible said (more often than any other aspect of creation) that the Universe was stretched out (past tense) and stretching out (present tense.) The Bible has it right about 5,000 years before the scientists did.

Christians never really did accept the flat earth theory. That the earth was round/spherical was common well before Christ was born and the "earth was flat in the Middle Ages" is actually an urban myth and easily looked up on the internet.

In reality, I don't think fundamental creationists as such will ever accept evolution, but as time goes by they will be perceived more and more as the loony fringe of Christianity. I believe that this is already the case in many main stream religions, especially outside of the USA, including Roman Catholicism and the Church of England and many other protestant/anglican churches who are encompassing modern science within their religious teachings without any real spiritual conflict in reality.

In response to "Creationism, in the form of ID, arose for one specific purpose: to present "arguments" against Evolutionary Theory." I'd just like to elaborate on this.

Intelligent design isn't really Creationism. Creationism is more accurately the total acceptance of the biblical account of the creation of the universe, six days and a rest etc. Creationists do not accept evolution and are the hard right wing of fundamental christians. I'm sure their "belief" will over-ride any amount of logic, scientific evidence or plain simple facts.

Intelligent Design (the Roman Catholic and CofE and most middle of the road Christian religions) is more a way of incorporating religion/god into the overwhelming scientific evidence around Evolutionary Theory. Intelligent design accepts evolution as true but rides a god figure on top of it in two ways. One is to say that a god created the initial conditions and rules for evolution to play by. The other is that god is continuously tinkering with evolution and fine tuning the process. Intelligent design accepts evolution, but disputes the controlling mechanism as not needing any further control by a god figure.

You sound very condescending. "Those stupid Christians; when will they ever get it".....

We aren't that easily intimidated. Putting evolution aside, you can't explain how the "big bang" happened. There is absolutely no evidence for the big bang theory. So even if you believe in evolution, you can't explain how or where everything came from.

http://www.everystudent.com states “If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth’s position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.”

Coincidence? Do you know what the statistical probability of all that happening by coincidence? And you say that those who believe in God have "blind faith". I'd say atheists have a lot of "blind faith", since they have no clue how the world and universe came to be, but they believe it magically came together from a few atoms.

Hey. My answer gets a question of it's own!

The reason I make this point is that all throughout history, as our discovery increases, god plays a smaller and smaller role.

In the beginning, when people asked "Why does the sun rise to bathe us in it's warming light?" The answer was inevitably "Why! It is God's will that it is so"

Then we learned of the solar system, a heliocentric universe and the movement of the planets, and suddenly, god wasn't doing as much.

They then asked "Why is it that people sometimes get sick and die for no reason?" The answer came "Why! It is God's will that it is so"

Then we learned of the germ theory, infection, cancer and internal medicine and suddenly, god wasn't doing as much.

Now we are wondering "Where did this great diversity of species come from?" and the answer came "Why! It is God's will that it is so"

But since then we have discovered micro-evolution, speciation, hereditry, genetics and so on, and well, the evidence is piling up.

I don't like to delude myself that science will ever disprove the notion of god, because there will ALWAYS be unknowns that can be labelled as the acts of a divine hand. I do however think that the more we discover, the smaller the role that "god" has to play in order to compensate for the gaps in our knowledge.

Having said that, it doesn't matter WHAT we discover, if you don't believe in it, you don't believe in it. Die hard creationists will defend the bible to their death, and it is their right to do so.

Source(s): I wrote the original answer...

Macroevolution is a terminology created by opponents of evolution. All serious evolutionary scholars disregard macroevolution as a perversion of legitimate science.

To more directly answer your question: Yes, I do feel it is only a matter of time before creationist accept evolution. A person can remain obtusely obstinate in the face of overwhelming factual evidence for only so long before having to give way to common sense.

Take the geocentrism model of the universe the church supported. Or faith healing. Various churches have supported both beliefs. Both have been proven scientifically unsound due to overwhelming evidence contradicting both beliefs. Creationism will eventually follow.

I settle for a number of technological know-how basically like I settle for a number of what human beings tell me on the pulpit. basically because of the fact a preacher preaches some thing does no longer mean that I trust it. I examine my Bible, pray, and think of roughly what's declared to make helpful that it somewhat is logical and traditionally precise. Likewise, i do no longer settle for a concept basically because of the fact some scientist says it is real. I examine the data, hear to the best judgment of the argument and debate the difficulty with different discovered human beings. God made technological know-how and that i've got faith fortunate to stay in a time the place i can learn the wonders of his rules in this universe. yet i've got discovered from history, besides, and characteristic discovered that regularly scientists swear that some thing is real and then it is not.

Christians used to think the world was flat am everyone used to think the world was flat. In the book of Job it says that the world is round like thousands of years before anyone else realised this.

With evolution christians may or may not believe in it some do now.

It depends on how you take the book of geneses is it literal or not and do we take that animals where created before us in the bible as evolution or that we are created in Gods image as not evolution.

Whether or not Christians once believed the earth was flat is irrelevant. They were in the same boat as the rest of the earth's population until it was discovered otherwise. This isn't a reflection on the Bible or God, because the Bible doesn't say at any time that the world is flat.

In the same way, it doesn't matter whether or not Christians believe in evolution.

The value of Christianity isn't in the Christian...it's in Christ.

okay well i was raised catholic, i believe in creationism, i am obtaining a college education at a fine university, and i can come up with many reasons evolution does not make sense. I just took astronomy and the big bang theory is a total BS, i can come up with a million reasons it makes no sense.

so don't blame it on not having education, its you dumbwits who believe everything they hear in a text book is right. Why don't you have some common sense, its better than being book smart =)

For Christians as a group, yes. For individuals, a substantial number of them are simply too set in their opinions to listen to facts. For those, time will eventually remove them from the group of Christians.

The question then becomes how many young people are deluded? I would say fewer all the time. We keep trying to improve education, and eventually this myth will go the way of the flat earth idea.