How do you fly long haul with a baby?

We're travelling from Europe to Japan to visit my wife's family with our 5 month old baby. We're really clueless about flying with a baby and have a couple of things worrying us. 1) Where does the baby go during the flight? Really on lap for the whole 14 hours? Don't planes have some kind of cot... show more We're travelling from Europe to Japan to visit my wife's family with our 5 month old baby. We're really clueless about flying with a baby and have a couple of things worrying us.

1) Where does the baby go during the flight? Really on lap for the whole 14 hours? Don't planes have some kind of cot - thought I saw some that fold down from the bulkhead. Could be mistaken though.

2) If not, can we bring a car seat? We'll have to take one anyway as we'll be driving in Japan.

3) Is it worth paying the child fare (£400) rather than infant fare (£90) to guarantee a spare seat for baby?The flight is very cheap so I'd guess it won't be full.

Any other tips on travelling with a baby would be very much appreciated.