Preventing multiple requests for the same file?

Recently one of my websites has been getting hit hard by (usually) short periods of time where there are multiple requests for the same file from the server. It's always an image file, and it's usually from the same range of IP addresses. I'm talking upwards of 100 requests a second. It kills my... show more Recently one of my websites has been getting hit hard by (usually) short periods of time where there are multiple requests for the same file from the server. It's always an image file, and it's usually from the same range of IP addresses. I'm talking upwards of 100 requests a second. It kills my bandwidth and renders the server completely inaccessible until it stops.

I'd ban the IP range, except that it's coming from the local college campus, which is the site's primary audience... so unfortunately that course of action just isn't feasible.

I've try hunting around for solutions, and have found several requests for help with similar problems. Unfortunately, none of them had much in the way of advice. Any ideas?