Why are Americans so obsessed with race?

I have been browsing around Yahoo answers for a while now and it strikes me that a lot of questions esp in the culture section, are race based and they usually pop in when Americans get online! Black ppls this, White ppl that, it is so sickening, can't you guys get along, acknowledge that human beings have... show more I have been browsing around Yahoo answers for a while now and it strikes me that a lot of questions esp in the culture section, are race based and they usually pop in when Americans get online!

Black ppls this, White ppl that, it is so sickening, can't you guys get along, acknowledge that human beings have different appearances and move on?

Why is your nation so obsessed with color?
Update: for the record, I am South African
Update 2: Supreme Intellect,

This is the legacy that we inherited from the past Apartheid government, what do you suppose we do? take all that away from them? please stick to the topic(about Americans) or else create your own were we can discuss this
Update 3: What attacks? racially motivated very rare here trust me! better check online for some news...attacks happen all over the world and we are not unique in this regard... you probably never get to hear anything about blacks being attacked, understand that the media and economy is still mostly white controlled We do... show more What attacks? racially motivated very rare here trust me!
better check online for some news...attacks happen all over the world and we are not unique in this regard...
you probably never get to hear anything about blacks being attacked, understand that the media and economy is still mostly white controlled
We do have race issues, but are not bi*$ng around like Americans
Update 4: Connor,

I suppose I can also ask my question here then...