Why are Americans so obsessed with race?

I have been browsing around Yahoo answers for a while now and it strikes me that a lot of questions esp in the culture section, are race based and they usually pop in when Americans get online!

Black ppls this, White ppl that, it is so sickening, can't you guys get along, acknowledge that human beings have different appearances and move on?

Why is your nation so obsessed with color?

for the record, I am South African

Supreme Intellect,

This is the legacy that we inherited from the past Apartheid government, what do you suppose we do? take all that away from them? please stick to the topic(about Americans) or else create your own were we can discuss this

What attacks? racially motivated very rare here trust me!

better check online for some news...attacks happen all over the world and we are not unique in this regard...

you probably never get to hear anything about blacks being attacked, understand that the media and economy is still mostly white controlled

We do have race issues, but are not bi*$ng around like Americans

Connor,

I suppose I can also ask my question here then...

Favorite Answer

They're obsessed with everything. They refer to themselves as a melting pot yet they have black communities, white communities, hispanic communities. They are never just American, they are African American, Italian American, Irish American.

Essentially they are just insecure and lack identity.

I assume you are from a nation that is predominately inhabited by 1 race, so their is probably not much racial tension in your country.

(Are you saying that South Africa does not have any race issues? Whites are attacked daily in South Africa. Apartheid just ended. South Africa is still far more segregated than the United States. South Africa is far more racist than the United States. There is racism in South Africa's employment, did you know that the average white person in South Africa makes on average, six times more than a black person? In America whites only make, on average, a few thousands of dollars more than blacks. All the whites are desperately trying to get out of South Africa, how is that getting along?)

Omg I was wondering the exact samething! It's mostly about whites questioning things about blacks. Its so dumb to me. But there are a lot of different races on here, and there is a lot of racism as well...

But I'm going to answer your question for you...

On Yahoo answers many people seem as if they are racist, not only because they are.. But because this is the internet, and on the internet you can say you hate black, whites, Asians.. Bascially anything u want. And racist people like the fact they get to tell people about why they dislike their race on the internet because they get to say it SAFELY... In person however, they don't... They may get hurt in the process of trying to say why they dislike a race infront of them. Here though? Its safe for them to.

Source(s): I hate racist people, but they are what they are. And thats just how it is. Notice how a lot of people got offended by your question... They're the ones that are the racist.

Are you absolutely stupid? This is the Culture and Groups section, therefore, any questions about "black ppls this, white ppl that" should be directed here. Im British and i dont know what your stressing about - did it ever occure to you have some questions may just be genuinely interested in other races?

The U.S. pioneered, fostered, mastered, and spread the concept of racism. They literally TAUGHT South Afrikaans how to operate during apartheid, and just 40 years ago they LEGISLATED racism. As in making racism into LAWS.

They have nothing better to do, If some one's race is all that's on your mind you really are one silly a#s human being.

good question

i'm half american but i have never been to america and i do find myself quite that way sometimes i live in britain and i'm so obsessed with races :s

it is an american thing it must be

that's what i want to know!!! i can't be around another person(not all ppl) of a different race without them mentioning something racially or making racial jokes or anything. they are stuck on differences of us

I have no ides..I have dated black men and white men and don't understand. The person inside is what matters,,,how they treat each other, honesty, etc...Hey..Ur kinda' cute!

• Rachel

We can all thank the Media for that one