New Macbook or second hand 1 year old Macbook Pro?

Pros and cons of each...

I'm looking to buy the new Macbook (aliminium one) or a second hand Macbook pro (about 1 year old)

Both are roughly the same price. (£800-£900)

What would be the pros and cons of each?

More info.

The new one would be about 2gig ram. 2.4ghz processor. 160gb hard drive.

The older pro would be a 4gig ram. 2.4ghz processor and 250 gb hard drive.

So basically.. What would I benefit more from a new, smaller screen sized Macbook than an older Larger screen and better Macbook Pro for the same price?

• L
    Favorite Answer

Always get the MacBook Pro. It's vastly superior.

MacBook Pro:

Pro: FOUR GIGS OF RAM (hello, grab it!); fast processor; more than adequate hard drive that can even be replaced with a Western Digital (the best brand, also used in Macs) 320-500 gig for $90 on newegg.com; very comfortable screen size; PHENOMENAL speakers (seriously, the clarity is something you'd expect from Bose surround sound speakers); that price.

Con: None to speak of. Maybe the price if you were buying it new... but even that's not an issue here.

MacBook:

Pro: New, cool trackpad, fast processor, very portable, attractive, easy access to replace the hard drive and upgrade memory.

Con: Tiny screen, woefully crappy speakers, aluminum finish wears away very easily, updates are coming very soon so you'll get the older version, small hard drive (though easily and inexpensively updated), average amount of RAM, and did I mention awful sound quality?

My vote is always for the MacBook Pro. I've had mine for 2 and a half years and it's still better than most of the PCs out there. I've upgraded the hard drive and still have way more than enough memory with only 2 gigs installed. I'm not a huge music fanatic but I'm so impressed with the quality of these laptop speakers. It makes me respect the computer even more. The MacBook Pro is also a more professional grade laptop than the MacBook so it can handle a huge amount of activity that the new MacBook still can't. That's not to say the MacBook isn't more than adequately adept -- it's just that the MacBook Pro can tackle literally 250 web browser tabs, Word, Adobe Acrobat, Mail, Preview, and Photoshop all at once (and that's on my laptop with only 2 gigs of memory). If that sounds extreme, I assure you I'm not exaggerating. I've done this in the past and will likely wind up doing it in the future. My good friend's brand new MacBook just can't handle that extreme load. However, most people will never need a machine to do that much at once.

Get the Pro.

Source(s): Mac #5 is a 17" MacBook Pro.

If you're going to be spending the same amount of money, I would go for the newer one. It has a newer trackpad, the screen is LED with a full glass screen rather than LCD. The aluminum casing is a plus, and the interior mechanics are updated and some of the latest stuff. With the way technology is going, things can get outdated pretty quickly, so if given the choice, I'd select the newer one.

Buy the new one. It will be slightly slower because of the smaller ram. 160gb is more than enough hard drive. The biggest disadvantage of a used computer is you will be getting someone else's files and other junk. Who needs that clutter.

Do NOT get used laptops, they just might have hidden problems that's gonna cost you more in the end. Just buy a new macbook, it comes with a free printer now:

http://killer-dealz.com/mac

And you can always upgrade the RAM yourself with quality Crucial RAMs:

http://killer-dealz.com/crucial

well... i would buy the new one! why would you buy a used one for the same price as a new one? but i have a macbook pro and i freaking love it! i would by the new one because well.... its new and not used.