Pagans of the soft polytheistic or atheistic sort: A series of questions?

Now this is not meant as criticism, first off, merely as an attempt to understand a different belief. Okay, those of you who are soft polytheists, how do you see the various deities? As facets of each other, or pieces of another greater diety? How do you mesh that with the fact that various personalities are... show more Now this is not meant as criticism, first off, merely as an attempt to understand a different belief.

Okay, those of you who are soft polytheists, how do you see the various deities? As facets of each other, or pieces of another greater diety? How do you mesh that with the fact that various personalities are very different and sometimes downright hate each other? Is it like a cosmic case of multiple personality disorder? How does this effect ritual or worship?

If you view various gods as just different explanations for universal truths -- do you actually see them as deities? If not, what is the point of worshiping them? Why be pagan? After all, couldn't you recognise those truths and revere them without using the names of various gods?

And to the pagan atheists I know are around: why do you consider yourself a pagan atheist? I remember when i was an atheist, I wouldn't have considered myself pagan at all, but save for the actual worship that I omitted, I acted no different. How do you define pagan atheism, and how is it different from humanism or just being concious of nature?

-- A curious hard polytheist.
Update: Soft polytheism = believing that all gods are facets or aspects of one god, or that they simply express universal truths without actually existing as gods.
Update 2: I love when people assume I was never an atheist. I was. There were a good few years where I didn't believe in any gods at all. So please, don't call me a liar.