What level of difficulty do you play video games for the first time?

Easy

Normal

Hard

Really hard (you have to beat the game on the others to unlock it+each game has it's own name for it. Skating=pro, shooting=veteran, other=gladiator, marine, etc)

Normal. Then on the highest difficulty, then back down to easy to clean up on missing trophies/collectibles.

Source(s): The way I've always done it...

Easy. Even if I want to do it on Normal, or Hard, I would choose Easy first. I want to get the hang of a game, and I don't want any computer CPU's trying to kill me while I'm trying to get used to the controls. After that, I just complete it, unlock stuff, and then do it on Normal. Same thing with that, and go on to Hard. And then to Really Hard.

I don't like playing a game at something higher than Easy in the first time for a several reasons:

1. I want to get used to the controls.

2. I might not be very good at it since it's the first time I am playing it.

3. The most important reason: When you play a game in Hard for the first time, and then finish the Really Hard one, you could probably either have the feeling that you want to beat it in all of the difficulties, or just unlock more stuff. It's no fun after beating it on Really Hard, and then going on Easy with no challenge, and it gets boring. I always like to play them in the proper order: from Easy, all the way to Really Hard.

Note: lots of my video games don't even have levels of difficulties, you just play the game in whatever difficulty it is, and then you're done. No more options for harder difficulties.

Hard. I'm the stubborn sort that has to charge head first into the dark.

Easy is usually a watered down version of the game and you're not getting the whole experience. Normal works because that's probably what the developer intended the game to play like. Playing the really hard difficulties, i.e. Dante Must Die, Professional in RE5, etc, right off the bat is often suicidal and frustrating, to me at least.

• Doreen

Regardless of the game, I always put it on the highest available. In games that lock higher difficulties until you beat the game, I will usually modify the files to automatically unlock the highest difficulty. I do not like to familiarize myself with a game before upping the difficulty, as that usually results in the easier difficulty being more difficult as it was the fresh playthrough.

• Ben

Easy. Once I get a feel for how the game works I can move up onto Normal. At the Normal level, I figure out how the computer has changed, and observe any big differences. Once I've mastered that, I move on to the next level and repeat until there are no more difficulties.

I have no life >.<

Normal. Lets me play around and get to know the game and actually do what the game was designed for. For example, if you just play it on easy you wont get good you will just wiz right through all the levels. On normal you'll gain some experience and skills but not be frustrated with impossible parts in the game.

usually Easy. The worst thing in my opinion is when the game is so hard you cant finish it. I also hate when there are too many choices and you dont know what to choose. I like a good old sequential game where there is minimal choice to be made. From the developers point of view, these games are also easier to develop, test and debug, and its a lot easier to design for a positive user experience if you know the path that the user will follow.

Normal

For the first time? Hard, depending on the game, but for the most part hard challenges you without being frustrating, if you want unlockables you can go back and get them on Really hard once you have beaten the game

Normal