I have windows Millenium 98 is that to old? Do I need to update my system?

Whenever I try to download movies or music it wont work. I have a burner installed.

• David

Your system is old. Updating your system inside the ME framework would be beneficial.

I think these services still work under ME:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.a...

However, to go to newer windows version would probably require a great amount of hardware changes.

It might be simpler to by a new tower or mini tower. I got one the other day that can run XP that is a P4 2ghz with 512mb ram and a 40gb hard drive off ebay for $40 including shipping.

As far as movies and music, those should work, though the movie playback might stutter depending on your hardware. It might be a problem with having the right codec installed. You could also try reinstalling the music and movie software that came with the machine.

Try here for a download of typical codecs for ME: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forp...

If the codecs don't help try some diffrent software.

Try Winamp for both music and some video.

Try divx player for video.

Look at http://www.oldapps.com/ and find the version that says it works with ME.

Alternatively, you could move to linux. Linux is a free operating system that can work well on older hardware.

It would require that you downlaod a CD image (.iso), then burn that image to a blank CD. Then you would set your computers bios to boot from CD, insert the newly created CD and reboot.

This option is called a Live CD and would allow you to try the operating system without making any changes to your computer. If you like it, you could then install it to your hard drive. If installed to your hard drive it will likely run faster than running from the CD. Some linux versions allow you to put the whole operating system on USB memory drive, but your computer would have to support booting from USB memory.

Xubuntu is a good one to try http://www.xubuntu.com/.

If your computer is realy old and xubuntu is too slow, you could try Puppylinx, it is the fastest distro I have encountered: http://www.puppylinux.com.

You will have internet access, with a modern browser, the ability to play sound and music, word processors and office tools, and a ton of other software all available for free.

Windows 98 and Windows Millenium (which are not the same thing) are 8 to 10 years old. But they still work and both running Internet Explorer which is normally all you need to download music or movies. You might check what version of IE you have and make sure that you are running at least version 5. I believe 6 will also work with 98 and ME.

You can also try downloading and use the free browser Firefox. The current version of it will run on 98 and ME and will allow you to download.

The system requirements for Windows XP are almost indentical to 98 and ME, so there is a good change your PC could be updated to XP. It is no longer sold in stores but you should be able to find a copy online for about $100. That would allow you to run the current version of IE and do downloads.

But odds are that it is not Windows 98 or ME that is preventing the downloads. More details about why you can't download or what kind of errors you get would be helpful.

Wow I wouldn't even bother answering this but there are so many clueless answers. They are correct about Win98 , Me, and 2000 being out of support. Support for Win98 and Me stopped on July 11 2006 that's 3 and a half years ago people, not 10. Unfortunately directx 9 is the best you'll be able to get on Win 98. What's really funny is everyone screaming go to Xp. Windows Xp is already in extended support. The end of support for Xp was on april 14th of 09! Xp with service pack 2 support ends April 21st of this year. And all extended support will end after September 4th of 2014. You are going to have to replace your computer if you want to use directx 11. Not many computers made in 96 could run Vista or 7! There is also a very good chance that your video card may not support DX11.

Yes, your version of windows is very old, and you should definitly upgrade,

Having a burner has no factor in playing movies/songs,

It seems you don't have proper codecs installed for the time being you can check this page to and install the vlc software to play any movies

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html#...

Yes your system is Very old.To even run XP,you need 512 MB of ram.You may not even have this and would be hard to find also.You can go to Dell and get new,with vista for under $450.00.For you to up grade your machine and put a new operating system wold cost as much,not including all the searching,for more ram,a video card and new program.Your better off new.Check out reviews on low cost desktops at cnet.com.This is how I got my new computer,Dual Core,4GB of ram,64bit Vista,500MB hard drives,speakers.For under $500.00.Good Luck.

Yes, it is old but you may not just be able to upgrade considering the hardware on your system may need to be upgraded as well. Save your money and just buy a used desktop or a new PC all together. They are not that expensive. $200 can buy you a new desktop PC by itself without the monitor, keyboard, mouse, extra software, etc. Good luck.

no you dont need to update for what you want to do.

at what point are you having the problems? downloading or watching?

if it's watching, download VLC player (just google it)

No it is not to old, believe me. You are able to boot into dos, I am not.

Edit: Stop telling him he needs to update, because he doesn't.

wow that is old i think you seriously need an upgrade

it's 2009 what do you think