Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 decade ago

Why do people gamble?

I am a teacher, and a mother, I am also a compulsive gambler. I pretty much gamble and lose about 1000 a month playing video lottery machines. I want to stop and need to stop. There are no GA meetings available for me to attend in my community. I can't start one, I live in a small community. I am so tired of throwing money away and ripping it up. Please, does anyone have any ideas on what I can do and can anyone please help me in the coming weeks? I don't want to do this alone and I don't feel comfortable speaking to my family about this; because we are not that close.

• lkraie

Very simple, because they have won before. It makes you feel as though you won't lose because in the end you will win it back, and more. How unlucky can you stay? If you put enough into the jackpot sooner or later it'd be all yours again. Why not?

You can stop. Just stop. Just do something else with you money. Think of more meaningful ways to "throw" your money away. Donate to charity. Some poor child out there could use your dollar for his lunch tomorrow. Even your own child will need your savings on a rainy day. I know what is feels like to have gone from 10K in my bank to just a few dollars. Imagine if tomorrow you had to go the supermarket, and you only had 50 bucks in your bank? Evey dollar you save is a dollar you earn.

Well that you have asked this, I'm glad that you are taking steps away from gambling compulsively. Don't ever go back to it, even if you feel that it is just for fun. Because you will feel the need to play again once you start. Unless you can seriously afford to throw everything away, don't do it.

You go to work every day and bless students with knowledge of how to maintain a future. You're a great person and bring hope to others through education. Take that knowledge and imply it to your own life. You have a problem and need to stop it completely. Find yourself another hobby and delete that website right now! If it's not there there will be no temptation.

I gamble on the proline because it's fun but try to limit myself. Those video machines are all rigged and you need to understand this. Fill the void in your life with something else.

Good luck

People usually gamble to 'fill up' empty spaces in their life. Busy yourself with things like looking after your kids or setting more homework for your class. If that doesn't work, play solitaire. Or, play online poker. You use points and not real money. That way, you get the satisfaction of gambling without losing any money.

Compulsive gamblers are finding comfort and escapism from real life problems instead of confronting a bad situation in thier lives. Ask God to help you and stand beside you in getting control of your own life whatever or whoever brings you down. You must face your demons to protect your daughter. The gambling will subside when you have made steps at becoming happier in your life by focusing more on what happiness can be obtained in your life. Big life changing steps are not as big as you believe them to be, don't ever be afraid of doing what feels right in your heart.

A lot of people gamble for fun and for money.

Why dont you just put your money in the stock market? Its the same as gambling but there are better ways to determine what a good bet or bad bet is (company financials, current trends, etc.) I day trade, and its almost the same as gambling, except theres ways to determine whats a good or bad bet.

The Bible doesn't say "Thou shalt not gamble". But it's pretty clear that money is to be used wisely, to care for our families, as well as other needs. Money is also to be used to help those who are poor and incapable of taking care of themselves. The disciples were known to have jobs to support themselves, so as not to always be sponging off of others, wearing out their welcome. When you gamble, you're wasting money that could be used for better things. Think about this...there are more poor people gambling (playing lotto, cards, and going to the casinos) than rich people, which tells me that rich people know better than to waste all their money on gambling than most poor people do. I know several people who spend more money on lotto tickets every week than they do on their groceries, yet they never win. It just makes poor people poorer. When it gets down to it, gambling is just plain selfishness, which IS a sin because that lead to greed and a whole bunch of other problems. It's best to just save your money and pay off your bills faster, or put it in a savings account. It will definitely grow faster than your chances at winning the lottery. <*)))><

Gambling is a type of addiction and you need to show to a psychetrist if you want to get rid of this problem / addiction of gambling.

Its an addiction. you need help otherwise you may end up in money problems. People gamble in my opinion because they might be bored or simply for the extra money when actually its a MASSIVE con.

My advice is STOP NOW.

gambling is addictive like smoking and drinking. the thing that makes gambling addictive is the fact of winning. its like gaming, you play a few times and are determined to win at least once. then when you win you want more so you continue ( just like games) and the thought of winning again makes you continue untill you win then its the same thing over again untill you run out of money