Can men be just as marterialistic and gold digging as women?

I know someone who is in a relationship with a guy of almost two years. She goes to school, she works her fingers to the bone just to get her bills paid, and the poor girl is ready to collapse. And the guy she is with has not really helped her financially this whole time. She comes from a poor working class... show more I know someone who is in a relationship with a guy of almost two years. She goes to school, she works her fingers to the bone just to get her bills paid, and the poor girl is ready to collapse. And the guy she is with has not really helped her financially this whole time.
She comes from a poor working class family, and is trying to better herself by putting herself through college. Ever since she was young, she has ALWAYS had a strong work ethic instilled in her, so she has worked very hard for everything she has earned all of her life.
The guy that she is seeing comes from a very well to do family who is worth over 10 million a year. His younger siblings go to a private school, his parents live in a three million mansion, have a brand new car every year, and they are members of an exclusive country club. So that should give you a clue on how this guy was raised.
Every quarter she gets her financial aid check, and every single time she gets a paycheck from her employer and he's ALWAYS thinking of ways to spend HER money on stupid, needless ****. Recently, she applied for a scholarship, and instead of saying "That's awesome babe, I hope you get it!" his response was, "Cool! We'll get more nice things!"
She says he's a nice guy who treats her well and he has never laid a finger on her. He does his share around the house and he even cooks, but I can tell this is taking a serious toll on her mental well-being when she barely has enough money to pay her bills, any money for herself so she can buy nice things. Infact the last time she got her financial aid check from school, it was all gone! Where did it go? To more stupid ****!
She loves this guy alot, but she doesn't want to end up on the street. And something is telling me, since this guy's parents are pretty well off and since he's left home, he's trying to keep up with them. I've met his mom and it seems like they are two peas in a pod always talking about the latest material things, and in a sick kind of way, it's almost like they are in competition with each other and they are both NEVER satisfied with what they have.
I think it's all about appearances with the mother and son and the girlfriend/fiance is paying through the nose. What should she do?